Problem with merging cells into master in Power Query

ben_sorensen

So I have a file that I have been working with. I append to files together, no problem, 85,000 rows.

Then I go back into the query and merge a file in, essentially a vLookup on country codes into country names, no problem, still 85,000 rows.

Then I go and do another merge, another vLookup, essentially taking all the labels in one category and reassigning them a more generic label in another column for easier less-granular analysis, and suddenly I have 87,000 rows of data.

I am trying to understand where the disconnect was that created those copies of rows of data. I know that I can do a remove duplicates but want to understand where I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Best
Ben

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Upvote 0
You may need to check the JoinKind passed to the Table.NestedJoin function

you have several possbilities:

JoinKind.FullOuter

JoinKind.Inner

JoinKind.LeftAnti

JoinKind.LeftOuter

JoinKind.RightAnti

JoinKind.RightOuter

Table.NestedJoin function

It looks like you are performing a left outer or right other join whereas you have to use a right outer (if currently using a left outer) or a left outer (if currently using a right outer) or perhaps you need an inner join

Tried that and now every time I select something other than LeftOuter I get a "Data.Format.Error=We couldn't convert to a number. Details: NA"

These aren't numbers that I am trying to vLookup into the data. I just don't understand why it keeps adding rows.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
They keys on which you perform the joins do not have to be numbers, but between the two table they do need to have the same data type. But it is difficult to know about your case without seeing the data

Upvote 0
If you are getting more data most likely you are joining tables with duplicated values.
if you click on the empty space in the new Table column, possibly you can see more than one row merged at the bottom. you created many to many connection.
perhaps delete some of your data and see how it goes in smaller range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back