PowerPivot: "COUNTIF" for same row, same table?

DerekK

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day,

I thought this would be easy but I'm having a devil of a time, I hope someone can please help!

I've tried writing this in a table; within PowerPivot; and as a measure but nothing seems to elicit what I'm after. (I'm new to PowerPivot, so I may be overlooking something obvious.) I'm working with Excel 2016, if that helps.

So, I have a column that lists "Region" (text) and I need to have a column that counts the number of times each region appears in the entire column. In a normal Excel spreadsheet, I might enter a formula like the following and copy it down:

Code:
=COUNTIF($C$1:$C$100,C1)

I've tried CALCULATE and COUNTROWS with a filter but it doesn't look quite right because it comes out with something like "[Region]=[Region]" and it elicits a figure which would be COUNTROWS without any filters.

(I'm actually looking for something to put into a Pivot Table's "Rows" section, so the final formula would be something like):

Code:
=C1 & " (" & COUNTIF($C$1:$C$100,C1) & " users)"

Hope you can help!

Sincerely,

Derek

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
based on what you are describing you just need to add a measure: = COUNTROWS(YourTableName)

then drop the Region in the rows of the pivot table and this measure as values

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, VBA Geek.

That would, indeed, give me the figures I need but, ultimately, I want to have a chart whose axis label would be something like this:

Code:
=C1 & " (" & COUNTIF($C$1:$C$100,C1) & " users)"

Upvote 0
Do you mean you want a pivot table like this?

umirvVG.png

Mf0TNib.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something more like this (I managed to get this one through a more difficult, roundabout way but I literally have dozens of these to do, so a simpler way would be very much appreciated):

regionChart.jpg

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED PATIENCE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then you need to add a calculated column with this DAX

=<br>Regions[Region] & <span class="StringLiteral" style="color:#D93124">" "</span><br>    & <span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">CALCULATE</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span><br><span class="indent8">        </span><span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">COUNTROWS</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span> Regions <span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span>,<br>        Regions[Region] = <span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">EARLIER</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span> Regions[Region] <span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span>,<br><span class="indent8">        </span><span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">ALL</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span> Regions <span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span><br><span class="indent4">    </span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span><br>    & <span class="StringLiteral" style="color:#D93124">" users"</span><br>

Upvote 0
Yep! Works like a charm!

Thank you most kindly, VBA Geek!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back