Import Multiple Excel files from Folder

apati

Board Regular
I was trying to setup a dashboard and my source data is a daily excel file with multiple columns and sheets.
I do not have real control of the raw/source data file structure so a week ago I realized that the file changed and the new versions of the daily files have 2 extra columns in between. I thought by "training" the Power Query to import the more complex file it could handle the older simpler structure. but instead i either get this error:

An error occurred in the ‘Transform File from new stucture’ query. Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table.
Details:
Key=Record
Table=Table

or it does not even allow me to change the sample file to the new version and it only reads the first file in the folder which is the one with the less columns.

Any suggestions on how to handle this so that I do not loose the history?

thank you in advance for your support.

Best Regards,

Dimitris

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Any chance to see structure "old" , "new" and changes?
If I understand correct new files will be with "new" structure only?

Upvote 0
I managed to fix the additional column issue by "re-training" the program to import based on the more complex file.
now, the problem i face is that in the new files one of the sheet names is different vs the old versions ie. sheet 1 vs sheet (1)

any ideas how to tackle this automatically so that i do not have to open and rename the sheet?

thank you in advance for your support.

best,

Jim

Upvote 0
Power Query M can use a relative reference. So if the line of code says [name=“Sheet 1”] or similar, you can replace the hard coded bit starting from Name and delete it all together, then append {0} at the end. This is code for “first row”. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back