Get MEDIAN from summarized column?

macfuller

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to get a median value for refund checks. My ERP data however lists checks multiple times in the table:

Voucher # Voucher $ Check # Check $
ABC $10 001 $20
DEF $10 001 $20
and so on.
So it is necessary to summarize the data in order to get a single row for each check # and check amount.

MEDIAN only accepts a column as an argument. I can create the SUMMARIZE data no problem.
Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]SUMMARIZE[/COLOR] (
    Vouchers,
    [COLOR=#000000]Vouchers[Check Number][/COLOR],
    [COLOR=#FF0000]"Checks"[/COLOR], [COLOR=#0000ff]MAX[/COLOR] ( [COLOR=#000000]Vouchers[Payment Amount][/COLOR] )
)

But every attempt to encapsulate this inside a MEDIAN statement using ADDCOLUMNS or SUMMARIZECOLUMNS still comes back to tell me that MEDIAN requires a column as its argument.

Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Have you tried using MEDIANX?

Table =<br><span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">ROW</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span><br><span class="indent4">    </span><span class="StringLiteral" style="color:#D93124">"Median"</span>, <span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">MEDIANX</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span><br><span class="indent8">        </span><span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">SUMMARIZECOLUMNS</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span><br>            Vouchers[Check Number],<br><span class="indent8">        </span><span class="indent4">    </span><span class="StringLiteral" style="color:#D93124">"TotalCheck"</span>, <span class="Keyword" style="color:#0070FF">SUM</span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696"> (</span> Vouchers[Check Amount] <span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span><br><span class="indent8">        </span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span>,<br>        [TotalCheck] * <span class="Number" style="color:#EE7F18">1.0</span><br><span class="indent4">    </span><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span><br><span class="Parenthesis" style="color:#969696">)</span><br>

Upvote 0
That's interesting. I added your measure as above with no problems in the data model window, dropped it into a pivot table, and got an error.

"The database driver does not include necessary capabilities and cannot be used with Excel..."

Upvote 0
To follow up I'm running Office 365 64-bit with 32GB of RAM so I should have enough horsepower to run this! The error wiped out my add-ins including Power Pivot but at least a simple reboot brought them back.

Manually listing and sorting all our 2018 YTD refund payments (24,900+) I can see that the median is $30 and the average is $175. It isn't until row 24,500 that the payments get over $1,000. That's a lot of checks going out for not much money.

Rather than the median I think it would be more useful to have a percentile chart as sought after here to give an idea of the overall payment profile since median isn't very revealing. But it looks like I need a supporting table to store the lookup percentile values as well as using Power Query to extract the distinct payments into a viable source since the SUMMARIZE above blows up my machine. But of course hard-coding the percentile table would mean it's not flexible for other filters and I'd have double the relationships in the model connecting to the summarized source table. Yikes!

Upvote 0
Drop from the field list window into the values box.

my formula returns a table which cannot be used inside a pivot table. The formula to be used within the pivot table may vary depending on your data model and pivot table structure.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm realizing what a huge amount of processing median and percentile calculations take, so it may be necessary to hardcode specific filters rather than having them flexible via slicers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back