Appended columns not updating in power pivot model

ulooz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks,

My colleague sent over a workbook by in which a powerpivot model was created, I was tasked with adding a few data fields and refreshing for latest months data (so we need to appended rows/columns with new data when it comes along)... As title suggests, power pivot model is not updating the new appended columns or data. To note, the worksheet isn't in the format of a table, so I suspect the power pivot model was created by going to Insert / Pivot Table / then "Add this data to the data model" was selected. I was under the impression its best practice to put your data into a table format, then add that table to the powerpivot model... From my experience appending the columns and rows of a table updates the model just fine... Am I right to suspect this is why the power pivot model is not updating automatically? What other possibilities could it be? Thanks in advance for any insight... Also, if I made the data into a table now and added to the powerpivot model, it would essentially be a new set of data for powerpivot and thus attempting to update the data source in the numerous pivot tables would in effect ruin them, right? So i'm a bit worried will have to start from scratch here.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Not very helpful I'm afraid but, unless someone knows otherwise, from personal experience while teaching myself PowerPivot I made the same mistake and rebuilding the pivots is the probable solution. Possibly if the data isn't a table there might be a chance the source is a named range in which case you can edit the definition to include the extra rows. However you say the latest data is not refreshing also so I think rebuilding is the answer. Make a copy of the original which you can refer back to and also copy and paste any measures across. Starting over again will also enable you to build a better base to develop the workbook as this won't be the last time someone asks for just a "tiny" alteration!
Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back