Create multiple rows of the same data

Craigc3814

Board Regular
I have two tables that I want to join, no data from either matches and this is intentional.

The first table is a bunch of data that includes the hours charged to a given project # sometimes you do not charge time to a specific project you are just doing admin work. I have to split that admin work over all of the available project numbers you could charge time to.

The second table is one column and it is a list of 16 project numbers available to charge time to.

I want to join the first table to the second table and for each row in the first table I want to create 16 lines of that same data one line for each project number from the second table. I thought I could do an anti join but no luck.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
As usual 10 minutes after posting I figured it out. Here is my solution in case anyone runs into it in the future.

On table one I changed the project numbers from a blank to a non existent project number

On table two I created an extra column and made 16 rows of the non existent project number, one for each actual project number and titled the column merge

I then did a regular merge from table two to table one on the non existent project numbers. It duplicated the rows sixteen times, one for each actual project number. I deleted the merge column and I am set.

Upvote 0
maybe shorter would be add custom column to the first table with =Table2 ?

Upvote 0
Not quite sure what you are doing, but the simplest way to duplicate rows 16 times is add a custom column with formula of ={1..16} then expand it to new rows

Code:
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Custom", each {1..16}),
#"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")

then if I wanted to merge in ColumnA from Table2, I'd add an index to Table1 with name Index, then add 1 second custom column with formula <code>=Table2[ColumnA]{[Index]}</code>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wanted to do it this way because the amount of project numbers can change, tomorrow a new project number could be added and there would now be 17 projects. I believe using a formula I would have to go in and account for that each time, no? This way if a new project pops up I can add it to table 2 and it is accounted for on refresh only.

Upvote 0
I wanted to do it this way because the amount of project numbers can change, tomorrow a new project number could be added and there would now be 17 projects. I believe using a formula I would have to go in and account for that each time, no? This way if a new project pops up I can add it to table 2 and it is accounted for on refresh only.

so use post #3
you can add whatever to source1 or/and source2 then refresh

test it first

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back