Change Number Format to Standard Date Format Power Query

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a column that has various dates in YYMMDD such as 100105 and 181028 and would like to make them appear as in this format MMDDYYYY so that it appears like 01/05/2010 and 10/18/2018, respectively.

How can I convert these numbers to the date format? I tried Column From Examples but it didn't recognize the pattern. Please advise!

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
try

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table9"]}[Content],
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"YMD", type text}}, "en-GB"), "YMD", Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(2), [COLOR="#FF0000"]{"YMD.1", "YMD.2", "YMD.3"}[/COLOR]),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position",[COLOR="#FF0000"]{"YMD.2", "YMD.3", "YMD.1"}[/COLOR],Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.None),"MDY"),
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][B]#"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns", {{"MDY", type date}}, "en-US")[/B][/COLOR]
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table9"]}[Content],
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"YMD", type text}}, "en-GB"), "YMD", Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(2), [COLOR="#FF0000"]{"YMD.1", "YMD.2", "YMD.3"}[/COLOR]),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position",[COLOR="#FF0000"]{"YMD.2", "YMD.3", "YMD.1"}[/COLOR],Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.None),"MDY"),
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][B]#"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns", {{"MDY", type date}}, "en-US")[/B][/COLOR]
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"[/SIZE]

If I copy your code and put in Advanced Editor it says can't find Table 9. I then tried to copy all the lines except the first and pasted to the bottom of my current code, but it gives me a "Token Comma expected" error. Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a column that has various dates in YYMMDD such as 100105 and 181028 and would like to make them appear as in this format MMDDYYYY so that it appears like 01/05/2010 and 10/18/2018, respectively.

How can I convert these numbers to the date format? I tried Column From Examples but it didn't recognize the pattern. Please advise!

CORRECTION: The bold should be 10/28/2018 when I want reformat 181028

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Table9 is a single column with header YMD
Add header YMD to your range (column) with the numbers
select that column and from the ribbon use From Table
in Advanced Editor you'll see the Table name so replace whole code you see with code from the post and replace Table9 to the name of your table

edit:
CORRECTION: The bold should be 10/28/2018 when I want reformat 181028
you want MDY format and it will do that

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I resolved it. Highlighted the Date column, split by delimiter, number of characters = 2, then selected each column that was split in the correct sequential order, clicked Merge Columns, changed the number format to Short Date. Deleted the 3 split columns and that's it! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
here is an example excel file

because I've local settings : en-GB but you've en-US so probably you'll need to use Ctrl+Alt+F5 to refresh result table

edit: that's great you resolve it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back