Thread: abnormal power pivot error message 'string cannot be converted to date type'
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default abnormal power pivot error message 'string cannot be converted to date type'

Hi,

NORMALLY when I get a date error with PowerPivot it is in relation to the type of cell and it gives me the header to look into. For instance, if the "contract date" had a blank or a non-date value PP would call it out and i'd simply address the value... but the current error reads like this: "the query did not run or the data model could not be accessed. Here's the error message we got: The '12/29/2015' string cannot be converted to the date type". Now.. I have no headers that are 12/29/2015 nor do I know which string it is referencing... Which leads my to my question: Has anyone run into this or is there any insight around how to troubleshoot? Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: abnormal power pivot error message 'string cannot be converted to date type'

Additionally, getting 1/1/2018 and 41935 instead of 12/29/2015

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: abnormal power pivot error message 'string cannot be converted to date type'

FYI, I'm getting this as well. (I had an existing PowerPivot with a PowerQuery as source....the error popped up with I made some changes to the power query. No joy in figuring out how to fix with out recreating the data model. )

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had this and fixed it. I had an existing power query feeding a data model. I had replaced the power query with another one (cutting and pasting via the Advanced editor). When I did, one of the columns didn't match the exiting data model (it was an integer instead of a date) and upon refresh I noticed this because one of the PivotTables was used this as a column and I was expecting a date.(but it did not pop up as an error) When I saw this, i went to PowerQuery and fixed it from integer to date. Hit refresh. At which point the same error you mentioned popped up.

Luckily, we have versioning in OneDrive

I opened my original file and redid the cut and paste of the power query but fixed the date column before running the query....problem gone.
    (I'm happy with this solution as I didn't want to recreate the Data Model which is a huge pain)

(The data model seems to be very touchy about unexpected changes in the type of the data connections that feed it)

Some videos you may like

User Tag List