Power Query! Marge date fields to create datetime field

RedllowFenix

Hi there,

I have three columns in a Power Query Table in Excel with Year, Month, Day (they're numbers, for instance: 2018,08,25) and I would like to merge them in a date column (DD/MM/YYYY). I searched in Google for a solution and tried everything but nothing works, it just give me an error when the columns are merged.

I'm newbie on this (power query) so I don't know how the M language works.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Re: Help Power Query! Marge date fields to create datetime field

Sandy, I also want to ask you, if you let me, a new request:

I have several excel files (monthly reports of my region's exports) that appends to another query forming a query consolidated. These monthly reports have the three columns which we discussed before (Year, Month, Day). What I want to do is create a new full date column dynamically, I mean that each time that I append a new monthly report to the query, Excel automatically creates the new date column.

¿Is that possible?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

try files from folder then append tables from these files create Date column
it should work for new files (tables) also

just add new file to the folder and refresh Query

Upvote 0

Ok I get it. How the code looks like in this case? I need to preserve the three columns, it is just to add a new column.

Upvote 0

Code? Sure :)

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Folder.Files("D:\fromfolder\for report"),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from for report", each #"Transform File from for report"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Transform File from for report"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from for report", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from for report"(#"Sample File"))),
//[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]here is the point where you can start do what you want.[/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]All above is automated.[/COLOR][/B]
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table Column1", "Conditions", each if [Year] = 0 then 0 else if [Year] = null then 0 else if [Month] = 0 then 0 else if [Month] = null then 0 else if [Day] = 0 then 0 else if [Day] = null then 0 else null),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column", each ([Conditions] = null)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Conditions"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"Day", type text}, {"Month", type text}, {"Year", type text}}, "en-GB"),{"Day", "Month", "Year"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("/", QuoteStyle.None),"Date"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Date", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

Thanks sandy. It works through "Sorted Rows", where it gets an error.

I was wondering, why did you create a conditional column then it filter and remove. Is it not better just starts from "Merged columns"?

Upvote 0

this is an example of code wich works with specified conditions
you didn't show any your own example so treat code as theory only

Upvote 0

Yo are right, excuse me!

Thanks again sandy, I just took the "Merged Columns" and it worked like a charm!

You are the boss!

Upvote 0

You are welcome

to say thanks and appreciate any of the post you can click Thanks/Like button at the left bottom corner in every post which helped you

have a nice day

Upvote 0

Posted in error

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back