Running Total Distinct Count

Craigc3814

Board Regular
I have a table I am working with that has project names that are listed multiple times (along with a bunch of other data that should not be relevant here). This is in Power Query

What I want to do is a running total of how many times the project name appears then start the count over when a new project name appears. End result would look like below.

Project A 1
Project A 2
Project A 3
Project B 1
Project B 2
Project C 1

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
but you can count rows (count or distinct count) and you will get numbers then ... above

Upvote 0
I do not understand how it would work. The solution from Marcel sums a number column (cost). I do not want to sum anything nor do I have anything to sum. All I want to do is count rows, if I group then do a distinct count, or regular count it groups my project name down to 1 line and just tells me how many times it appears in the list. I already know the answer to that.

Upvote 0
You can insert a column with a value of 1 for each row to sum, this will give you a running count.

I adapted this brilliant solution to a lit of projects to show ho

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblProjects"]}[Content],
    countColumnAdd = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Instance", each 1),
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(countColumnAdd, "Running Count", each null, type number)),
    fnGrouping = (MyTable as table) as table =>
    let
        Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
        TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Running Count", each null, type number)),
        Cumulative = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Source[Instance],{0},(cumulative,instance) => cumulative & {List.Last(cumulative) + instance})),
        RunningCount = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType)
    in
    RunningCount,
    rowsGrouped = Table.Group(countColumnAdd, {"Project"}, {{"AllData", fnGrouping, TableType}}),
    groupsExpanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(rowsGrouped, "AllData", {"Running Count"}, {"Running Count"})
in
    groupsExpanded

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I need to create a custom function for this portion correct

let
TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(countColumnAdd, "Running Count", each null, type number)),

Upvote 0
So I need to create a custom function for this portion correct

let

No, I embedded the function I the query for you. Mine should do what you want, barring any other column that you might have.

Upvote 0
Not sure what I am doing wrong, I copied and pasted your formula (changed project to project name as it is called in my table) in but when it groups it is washing out the multiple amount of times projects appear for example project A appears 3 times but after this code it drops it down to 1 row and returns 1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back