Power Query How to list folder names only NOT files

Joyner

Hello, I am fairly new to Power Query and have searched but can't find a solution - every thing I find is related to listing files, not folders. Is it possible for power query to just list folder names from a path? I can list all files with the path and extract the folder name but removing the duplicates with the voluminous files is taking way too long for some reasons, so if I can just list the folder names instead of all files should be much faster.

Thank You

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
it depends on what the structure is, you can:
group whole path if necessary
split FolderPath by \
remove last blank column

eg.
Folder Path.1Folder Path.2Folder Path.3Folder Path.4Folder Path.5Count
D:BaseFolderFolder1
1​
D:BaseFolderFolder2Folder2.1Folder2.1.1
1​
D:BaseFolderFolder2Folder2.1Folder2.1.2
1​
D:BaseFolderFolder2Folder2.1Folder2.1.3
4​
D:BaseFolderFolder2Folder2.2
1​

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Folder.Files("D:\BaseFolder"),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Folder Path"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Removed Other Columns", {"Folder Path"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Folder Path", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("\", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Folder Path.1", "Folder Path.2", "Folder Path.3", "Folder Path.4", "Folder Path.5", "Folder Path.6"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{"Folder Path.6"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Sandy and thank you for the reply. I think you may be doing something similar to what I was doing. I am not familiar with the method you are using by grouping rows (?) but I am trying it and there appear to be similar problems. First by using "Source = Folder.Files("D:\BaseFolder")" the first thing it does is list all files, I don't want to do that because there are currently 60K plus files, so when you try to do anything after that, things seem to be really slow. Plus another thing I discovered is that if there are no files in any folder, that folder will not be listed, and I want a list of all folders.

So there is no Power Query command to list folders?

Thank You
"

Upvote 0
Try this code below.... this is draft only
Code:
let

Source = Folder.Files(YourPathToStartFolder),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Niestandardowe", each Table.SelectRows(Folder.Contents([Folder Path]), each [Content] is table)     ),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Niestandardowe.1", each if Table.IsEmpty([Niestandardowe]) then {Text.BeforeDelimiter([Folder Path], "\", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd})} else Table.CombineColumns([Niestandardowe], {"Folder Path", "Name"}, Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(""), "New")[New]),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"Niestandardowe.1"}),
    #"Expanded {0}" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Niestandardowe.1"),
    #"Removed Duplicates1" = Table.Distinct(#"Expanded {0}"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Duplicates1",{{"Niestandardowe.1", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{{"Niestandardowe.1", "Foldery"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Upvote 0
@Zbyszek
it still doesn't contain empty folders ;)

Foldery
D:\BaseFolder\Folder1
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.1
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.2
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.3

folders.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi sandy :)
I am surprised, how do you know my name? :)))
You are right. When the empty folder exist on the first level then my code doesn't work properly.
Try thsi modification
Code:
let    FPath = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="FPath"]}[Content]{0}[Column1],
    FirstRow = Table.FromColumns({{FPath}}, {"Folder Path"}),
    Source = Folder.Files(FPath),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    Combine = Table.Combine({FirstRow, #"Removed Duplicates"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Combine, "Niestandardowe", each Table.SelectRows(Folder.Contents([Folder Path]), each [Content] is table)     ),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Niestandardowe.1", each if Table.IsEmpty([Niestandardowe]) then {Text.BeforeDelimiter([Folder Path], "\", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd})} else Table.CombineColumns([Niestandardowe], {"Folder Path", "Name"}, Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(""), "New")[New]),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"Niestandardowe.1"}),
    #"Expanded {0}" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Niestandardowe.1"),
    #"Removed Duplicates1" = Table.Distinct(#"Expanded {0}"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Duplicates1",{{"Niestandardowe.1", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{{"Niestandardowe.1", "Folder Path"}}),
    Custom1 = Table.Combine({FirstRow, #"Renamed Columns"})
in
    Custom1
where FPath is named range (one cell) in excel sheet.

Cheers :))

Upvote 0
range name: FPath (blank cell)
Expand (0) = Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Text.

I am surprised, how do you know my name?
I know more :LOL:

Upvote 0
ok my mistake with empty cell but i can't see this : D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\[highlight]Folder2.2[/highlight]

screenshot-7.png

I c only:
Folder Path
D:\BaseFolder
D:\BaseFolder\Folder1
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.1
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.2
D:\BaseFolder\Folder2\Folder2.1\Folder2.1.3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am leaving now for the weekend but I think this can be solved using List.Generate and Folder.Contents (without Folder.Files)
Maybe on Sunday I'll try to write some other code.
Cheers :))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back