Relative Period Filter

DickyMoo

Hi All,

I am using a disconnected copy of my Date table as a filter in a measure. The user selects a FinancialPeriod from the disconnected table and the measure is shown in a table with rows of FinancialPeriod from the original Date table.

The purpose of the measure is a kind of 'Where are they now?', and takes a group of Affiliates at the selected date and shows how many of them convert to Members etc over time.

This works fine. What I am trying to do now is to have multiple tables each with different start periods, each showing the next 24 FinancialPeriods, so I can show what happens to a group of people over time, with different start points.

Any ideas on how to do this? I don't think Relative Date Filtering is right, but can I use a measure to select the periods.

FYI our FinancialPeriods are 2018001, 2018002 ... 2018012, 2019001, 2019002 etc so I want the (disconnected) selected FinancialPeriod + 2000.

The measure is shown below for reference:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]Count - Affiliates Then Members Now = 
// The count of Current Active Members who were Affiliates in the Financial Period selected in Dim_Calendar_Copy
VAR varPeriod = MAX([B]Dim_Calendar_Copy[Financial Period][/B])
VAR varThen =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES('FEE ANALYSIS'[Member Number]),
        'FEE ANALYSIS'[Member Status - Current] = "Active",
        Dim_MemberCategory[Headline Category] = "Affiliate",
        FILTER(ALL(Dim_Calendar), Dim_Calendar[Financial Period] = varPeriod)
    )
VAR varNow =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES('FEE ANALYSIS'[Member Number]),
        'FEE ANALYSIS'[Member Status - Current] = "Active",
        Dim_MemberCategory[Headline Category] = "Member",
        Dim_Calendar[Financial Period] > varPeriod
    )
VAR Result_1 = IF( HASONEVALUE(Dim_Calendar[Financial Period]), COUNTROWS ( INTERSECT ( varThen, varNow ) ), BLANK() )
RETURN Result_1
[/FONT][/COLOR]

sorry if this is a bit confusing

Thanks
Richard

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I've answered my own question, used a measure:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]FinancialPeriod_Filter = 
IF (
    AND (
        MAX ( Dim_Calendar[Financial Period] )
            >  MAX ( Dim_Calendar_Copy[Financial Period] ),
        MAX ( Dim_Calendar[Financial Period] )
            <= MAX ( Dim_Calendar_Copy[Financial Period] ) + 2000
    ),
)
[/FONT][/COLOR]

and applied a TopN filter, top 1 by this measure.

Seems to work ok, better methods would be welcome.

Richard

Upvote 0
and applied a TopN filter, top 1 by this measure.

Seems to work ok, better methods would be welcome.

Richard

I'm not suggesting that I have a better method, but I was intrigued as to why you didn't introduce a "Became Member" date (or period) that you could use your measures on? Also, you mentioned a disconnected Date table and I wondered why you had chosen that approach? I have a similar Financial Period syntax to you and I usually create a date (all dates inclusive) table from the first to last periods in my report with a function. You could then use that date table to filter your report and then use a measure like
CALCULATE(VALUES('FEE ANALYSIS'[Member Number]),Filter(Dim_Calendar,DATEADD(Dim_Calender[Date],2,YEARS)))

Sorry it syntax errors, not at my PC! Hopefully you get the idea.

Upvote 0
I guess I went for this approach because there are multiple things that an Affiliate could do: Convert to Membership, Resign, Something else entirely etc, and I'm still working it all out.

We have lots of different paths through membership, so I felt using a measure for each path gives me flexibility at this stage. Ideally one day we get a nice data warehouse with the necessary columns showing dates at which each stage is achieved, but we're still paving the way for that.

I'm no DAX expert (DAXpert?) but I have found a method that works for me. I'm particularly keen on the COUNTROWS( INTERSECT / EXCEPT ) approach to replicate the SQL IN / NOT IN

The original date table is used as the rows on the table, and the disconnected copy is used to select the period from which you will track a group. A few of these measures then shows me how this group progresses over time, i.e. after 1 / 2 / 3 years how many are Members / Resigned etc. I need 2 period inputs so I have used 2 date tables, I can't think how else to do it.

I have no doubt that someone out there will have a better way with a bit of DAX magic.

Upvote 0
Yes, I see, I did wonder if there were more "phases" of an affilliate's lifecycle. You'd probably need a fact table of affiliate statuses with from and to dates or something in that case. It'd make for an interesting project for you!!!

I'm in a similar boat with DAX, I'm very much learning via trial and error and then understanding the concepts in reverse based on outcomes. I do, at times, wonder how efficient my queries are/aren't and the current environments I work in are probably quite forgiving in that regard so I'm not really testing myself to make thinks better. For instance, I thought INTERSECT and CALCULATETABLE were quite inefficient, but I think I'm wrong about that. It's good to get a new playground to play in I suppose!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaRino

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back