Using Excel while queries are refreshing

Factotum

Board Regular
This may be a silly question, but does anyone know what the effect will be if I'm actively using other instances of Excel while the queries in another workbook are refreshing?

I've been working on linking a spreadsheet to a PowerPoint library. It pulls data from dozens (eventually hundreds) of files stored on a SharePoint site. My early testing stages are taking about 10 minutes for the query to refresh. Will it cause any problems, other than maybe slowing down the refresh, if I am actively working in other Excel workbooks? I know I can't do this while a macro is running, but it's allowing me to do it while a query is refreshing. Just wondering if there will be some unexpected consequences to this? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I wouldn't advise it. Excel is a memory hog, and having more than one instance of excel open at the time can put a tremendous strain on your system, especially if one is refreshing queries.

What this can lead to is your system running low on memory, and then, it's anyone's guess what could happen, though none of it would be good.

Best case scenario, your machine slows down. Worst is file corruption and/or inaccurate data. As a matter of course, I would avoid it.

EXCEPTION: If you have citrix or another virtual environment, it is safe to run an instance remotely and one locally.

Upvote 0
I kinda figured that would be the answer. Thanks for confirming my fears. As another option, and maybe this depends on computer settings, would a query continue to run/update if I locked my computer or it went into sleep mode? I'm thinking maybe I could start the refresh process before i leave the office and have it done when I come back in the morning?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back