Park Run Data - Scotland

GorD

I have created a query to pull all the park run data from all the scottish park runs which works ok

it uses 43ish urls in a table (a few tables as website didn't like all together) like below

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/standrews/results/latestresults/

I get all the data coming through fine , but the table of data doesn't contain a date - which is visible on the webpage above the data table.

My concern is that if a particular park run didn't happen one week i would not know and pull the data through as this weeks

So how can i load the data from the above url and include the date

Thanks for any help

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Unfortunately I get 403 forbidden on the website. However I had a look earlier and would think about the following approach. First create a table of the events you are interested in. Create a query from this and build a link to the event history for each park in a custom column. Then create a function to create a list of every event in each park with the run number and date. Add this in another column. Finally another function to extract the results. If the website comes back up I will try it later.

Peter

Upvote 0
Sandy, is that not just the time that you ran your query, rather than the date of the park run that is classed as latest?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I get 403 forbidden on the website. However I had a look earlier and would think about the following approach. First create a table of the events you are interested in. Create a query from this and build a link to the event history for each park in a custom column. Then create a function to create a list of every event in each park with the run number and date. Add this in another column. Finally another function to extract the results. If the website comes back up I will try it later.

Peter

Peter that sounds like exactly what i have done, except i'm using "latest" rather than a specific event no. I don't want to have to go through all urls to see what number they are sitting at - especially when the data im after is already on the page

Just wondering if it is accessable

I quite often get the error you get and change browser and i get access again - think it must be something to stop DOS attacks

Upvote 0
this is last refresh of the data not a date from the site

text: St Andrews parkrun # 359 - 15/06/2019 is outside of the table

Upvote 0
Peter, I see what you mean, and have had a go - issue I now see is getting the name of the location.

Also wondering if the web page would block me with running so many queries, as I was getting some mash-up errors when I tried to do all 40 odd urls at the same time

I know think i would do this function once to get the latest date of each event, and my existing function to get all the data - but I can't get the location name, in the same way, I couldn't get the date initially

Upvote 0
I'll try again later and see if I can work out a way of limiting my calls to their server.
I didn't realise you just wanted the latest. That makes it a bit easier. I will still try calling up the event listings but just return the highest sequential number of run for each one and look up the actual event date from there. Then I will build a unique URL for each one in a new column and create a function to get the data.
Peter

Upvote 0
I'm blocked out again. Looks like I have to wait a few hours, I've tried re-booting without success. I have tried finding the web site's Terms of service, it obviously doesn't like what we are attempting to do and I am slightly concerned about the ethics of continuing.
However when I get back in I will try Function.Invokeafter with a time delay.
Back to your question on how to get the location name. I used a quick and dirty approach. Searched for event locations on the website filtered by Scotland; copy and paste into Excel, into a query, lower case, removed spaces.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back