Power Query editor refresh running slowly, Microsoft Mashup Container running even when idle

Vaslo

Board Regular
All,

I have cleaned up a group queries that transform some data for monthly FP&A analysis we do. Without tedious detail we essentially take two exports and combine them into one, and then pull from each previous query (M-Code starts with a source like #"Join Pricing Data") to pull from that particular query. The setup works well and refreshes aren't too bad and well within my tolerant range. Where I have problems is when I go in to edit a query, the preview in the editor is VERY SLOW. In addition, I keep hearing my fan spin up and noticed that there are several instances of "Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container", and at times, even when I haven't touched the keyboard in a while, those containers start using a ton of resources sometime to 100% CPU.

Does anyone know of possible causes (and fixes) to slow editor preview refreshes? Is it related to the heavy Evaluation Container usage? I have tried a few suggestions like putting some Table.Buffer onto some of the steps and have unchecked the Data Load setting in the Options pane. I am at a loss and everything working great except these editor refreshes holding me back while trying to make adjustments to the M statements.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Wow, exactly what I've been struggling with! Did some nice querying, combining some data, applying a custom formula on a subquery, feeding that back into the final result and then... all of a sudden everything is taking a huge amount of time when performing simple assignments in that same final result. It's driving me mad!

Upvote 0
So the main problem I had was that I was trying to pull data from a Shared Server and for some reason it was horribly slow. Drove me mad as well. I had to move everything over to my PC (which was far from ideal) but now it works like a charm. I've started using SSIS as well which is really really fast but have to do SQL to get what you want. I have had Power Query code in the past that was very slow, particularly when doing certain actions across lots of columns. Hope you can figure out what is wrong.

Upvote 0
I'm replicating Excel behavior and found out in a thread that that is not what Power Query is intended for. So now I've just pulled the information into my file, generated a few tables and will do the rest/hard work via Power Pivot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back