Combining files from folder deletes column data of 2nd file

Craigc3814

Board Regular
I have never seen this before. I have 2 files in a network folder and they both show available fund remaining for every project that my company has. One is from February, and I formatted it about a month ago so that as new available fund reports come out I can just drop them in there, PQ would grab the most recent report and format the exact same way.

When I am dropping my second file into the folder it is not bringing in the second files first column data. It has a place holder for the data but it only returns null. If I filter to only the second file it still does the exact same thing. If I go to a new excel file and try to recreate the query from scratch it still does the same thing.

BUT if I create a new excel file and instead of loading the data from Folder I select load data from file and I click on the second file it brings in absolutely everything that is there. I have spent several hours now looking for a format issue that would cause the error.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? The files contain financial information from a government entity so I cannot share them, I am really just looking for ideas as to what could be causing the error before I say forget it and just make it a file change every single month

let
Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\Joe Shmo\Desktop\Actuals"),
#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from Actuals", each #"Transform File from Actuals"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Actuals"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Actuals", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from Actuals"(#"Sample File"))),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"FY19 Capital Budget / Available Funds", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"ALL COLUMNS WITHOUT FORCE ACCOUNT", type any}, {"Column4", type any}, {"Column5", type any}, {"Column6", type any}, {"Column7", type any}, {"Column8", type any}, {"Column9", type any}, {"Column10", type any}}),
#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Changed Type",2),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Top Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Available Funds Feb 28 2019.xlsx", type text}, {"Budget ID", type text}, {"Project Name", type text}, {"Contractual Commitments", Int64.Type}, {"Prior Year Actuals", type number}, {"FY19 Budget", type number}, {"Lifetime Actuals", type number}, {"Current Year Actuals ", type number}, {"Available Funds", type number}, {"Column10", type any}, {"Column11", type any}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Column header had 1 character difference and it was ruining everything, got it figured out. Do not know how to delete the thread

Upvote 0
Just say SOLVED and that's all :)

btw. for any code use CODE tags, like: [CODE]your code here[/CODE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back