Pivot Table Calculated Fields

OllieKP

My source data is in Power Pivot, pulled directly via SQL, and I have measures that calculate over 20 days, 10 - 20 days or under 10 days. These are based on a calculated column that categorises each line accordingly (from a Task age column).

I want to create a pivot table that shows max task age and a count of under 10, 10-20 and 20+ records. The issue I have is if I use the measures in the values section of my pivot I can get the front-end look I want, but when I double-click a record, e.g 20+ for Cat 1 it gives me the data for all the age ranges for Cat 1, not just those over 20 days.

If I use the calculated column (Task category) values in the columns area of the pivot I get the look I want, plus clicking a record gives me the filtered data, but I can't include the max task age as it tries to categorise it under the columns field.

Any guidance on how to make measures only present the relevant source data when in a pivot table, or how to make a measure not be sub-categorised by a column area in the pivot would be greatly appreciated.

Team / CategoryUnder 1010 - 2020+Total
Team 1
Cat 1
Cat 2
Cat 3
Cat 4
Cat 5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
welcome,

One way with a pivot table - any pivot table, doesn't need power pivot - is instead of the calculated field functionality via the normal worksheet interface to create the field within the dataset from the database.

Such as, the current dataset is defined by "SELECT * FROM database_table"

Instead use "SELECT *, IIF(Task_Age < 10, "Under 10 days", IIF(Task_Age < 20, "10-20 days", "20+ days")) AS TaskAge FROM database_table"

Some ways this can be set up starting either with the pivot table wizard ALT-D-P and choosing external data source at the first step, or, ALT-D-N-N and follow the wizard. Either way, at the last step take the option to edit in MS Query & via the SQL button edit the SQL to add the field to the dataset.

regards, Fazza

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back