Dynamic DAX calculation between two rows of same DAX measure (filtered rows)

kalam1989

Background:
I have a measure that calculates Total sales from a master sales data that captures actual sales and forecasted sales on a monthly basis.

Sample data:
And a sample looks like below:

So, the June cycle and July cycle are actual sales upto Jun and Forecasted Sales from Jul to Dec. The figures are calculated from a filter <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap;">Total Sales:=Sum(Sales)</code>, and I'm filtering out only June and July cycle data to see the latest and previous month sales.

And I want to create:

1. A measure to calculate the difference of the two selected months (July and June) in another row to show the variance between two cycles.
  2. Another measure to calculate the % of difference (Variance %) between the two selected months in the next row

But I don't want to fix the two months, but rather create a dynamic measure that calculates from the selected filters. For example, I can also see the difference between two other cycles from earlier, or from later cycles.

Is there a way for me to write a dynamic DAX measure to calculate from the results of another DAX measure (but filtered)?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You're right! I forgot to make the figures actuals after I randomized the data!!! Pardon me for overlooking the detail!!

Upvote 0
Kindly see below for the revised correct numbers:
(Sorry, I'm unable to insert image for some weird reason, so let me attach as a hyperlink below instead)

https://imgur.com/BmX1HAA

The problem I'm facing now is:
I can filter the data based on the cycle (which is in date format) and show the total sales using a measure by month as well. But, I don't know how to do another measure to find the difference between the two filtered rows in the power pivot.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you :)
BmX1HAA

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back