Questions before diving in a cash management model using powerpivot and DAX

DockS

Hi there,

I'm refreshing/improving a cash management tool / dashboard I developed last year and I'm looking into information to do it the right way.

The environment is as follow :
- group has several companies and multiple bank account per company
- some account are checking accounts and some are managed account (assets) (and therefore need some calculation to fit in the expected output)
- output should be by year and by month (endofmonth) and total should be runing in total across years (not a simple pivot table) + get a difference from previous date (including the running parameter)

I build a model answering this with several table a query to combine them and pivot table with source = combined table but I encounter some issues :
- running total stops at each beginning of year
- difference from running total is not consistent
- model needs to refresh query and then refresh pivot table each time a record is added which is not user friendly
- output each quarter could be done without some painfull and inconsistent calculations

I'm thinking about diving a bit more into power query / powerpivot to build that model and maybe using some DAX formulas to calculate my running total and running diff and having my pivot table output.
Is it the right tool for the desired output, do you think of an alternative, is there some things to take into account before starting ?

here is an example of my actual output : https://ibb.co/tsCjMtq

I'm watching excelisfun MSPTDA serie for a start but if you have other ressources I'm all ears

Have a good day

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back