Edit Queries grayed out - How can I view the source data in Excel and append data to this source?

olimits7

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I still have access to an intern's account who no longer works here. He created a report in "Service" under his "personal workspace" so there isn't an option to download the *.pbix file. So I ended up going to "Desktop" and I was able to select the same dataset he used in "Service" and I recreated the reports and published them to a "group workspace"; so I can edit the reports in the future and we can delete his account.

My issue is how do I update data in this dataset? I can't go under "Edit Queries" in "Desktop" because it's grayed out. If I click on "Refresh" it looks like it refreshes properly but I have no idea where the source file is that it's refreshing from.

I tried going back into "Service" under "Settings > Datasets" and when I click on that dataset all I see is the following.
Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections, or is a worksheet or linked table. To schedule refresh, the data must be loaded into the data model.

Parameters haven't been defined for this dataset yet. If you want to set parameters, use the Query Editor.
Why is it so difficult to just get to the actual source data so I can continue to update it with new data?

If my company deletes this intern's Microsoft account, will this dataset also get deleted and not work with the new "group workspace" report I just created?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back