crmiko

I am a middle school math teacher. I bought Power Excel (2019 edition) and was instantly overwhelmed. I am sure the book has the information to help me but I don't know what is called to do what I want.

We have to post grades with comments 4 times a year. The list of comments we can use are included in a drop-down menu. Not all the comments apply to what I want to say but I have to look through all the comments every time. If I make a list of all the comments and I put them in a table. Can I put in the grade percentage in and only have a selected few comments come up that apply to the percentage I put in?

If this is possible, my life would be easier.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi,

Hmmm. I'm not sure how grades should correspond to comments.
Will your pupils get
1) 0%,10%,50%,80%?
2) Or also 38%?

If case 2 is true then I'm not sure how to help you in an easy way. I'd use some helper columns to achieve it.

However if 1st case is true then it is quite easy.

We need to create two worksheets. For the sake of this post I will create:
1) Worksheet: grade_comments - this will hold info about grade vs comments
2) Worksheet: grades - this will hold your pupils grades with cells with drop-down

Worksheet "grade_comments" looks like this:

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
AB
1Grade (%)Comment
20Comment1
310Comment2
410Comment3
510Comment4
620Comment5
720Comment6
820Comment7
920Comment8
1030Comment9
1130Comment10
1230Comment11
1340Comment12
1440Comment13
1540Comment14
1640Comment15
1750Comment16
1850Comment17
1950Comment18
2050Comment19
2150Comment20

<tbody>
</tbody>
grade_comments

That's all for "grade_comments".

Worksheet "grades" looks like this:

ABC
1PupilGrade (%)Comment
2Tom10
3Mark50
4Jessica50
5Meggy40

<tbody>
</tbody>
grades
Ok. Now the tricky part..
For C2 you have to enable Data Validation (in Data tab). Pick List and in source field you have to put this formula:

Worksheet Formulas
Formula
=INDIRECT("grade_comments!B" & MATCH(B2,grade_comments!A:A,0) & ":B" & MATCH(B2,grade_comments!A:A,0) +COUNTIF(grade_comments!A:A,B2)-1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Accept changes with OK. When you select range cells from C2 to C5 and press CTRL+D on your keyboard data validation will be copied down to all selected cells. B2 from a formula will be updated for all cells (B2, B3, B4 and so on). However be sure not to put $ before row number (i.e. B$2) as this will prevent row update when you press CTRL+D.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thank you for posting an answer. I am going to give it a try and let you know. I am going to try your second option. If I can get it into a 10% range it will be easier than what I am doing now.

Upvote 0
nardagus

Pardon my "jumping in" on this thread. I found the problem and solution very intriguing.

Having applied the formula using Data Validation .... Excel is telling me I can't reference a range from another sheet.

That is strange because I've perform Data Validation previously, using a range from another sheet, and not had any issues. Albeit, the
reference I was using didn't include the complex formula you have presented here.

Can you suggest a solution for Excel refusing to cooperate here ?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Sorry for late response.
To be honest I don't know how to help you. I'd have to look at your file. Maybe there is an error in a formula used for Data Validation. However it shouldn't tell you that you cannot have reference to another worksheet...

Upvote 0
Thank you for responding.

Perhaps it is just another of those little querks my copy of Excel 2007 wants to express.
It has a number of them.

Cheers !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back