Power Pivot guidance - data structure and avoiding many-many relationships

gwoolley0302

Board Regular
Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance on how to build my data set, so I can effectively use Power Pivot to present my results. In my attempts so far, I have come up against the challenge of many to many relationships when trying to create relationships between my tables. I have tried to create bridging tables, but these do not seem to have worked so far or I’m not sure how to use them.

I would really appreciate if anyone would be able to review my data set and point me in the right direction.
Also;
• To may be help for context, the last tab includes an initial list of the results I am trying to present at the end.
• One potential problem I came across was how I have structured data in the ‘surveys conversion tab’, hence the creation of an alternative structure in the adjacent tab although not complete). I’m hoping the first is work-able as it is less time consuming.

It feels like the mos straight forward method of sharing the issue, would be by sharing the document? But I can't attach it? And I need a specific email address in order to gain a link to share through Office 365. Would any one have any suggestions?

Thank you so much to any one who can support!

Best wishes, Greg

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
share file on OneDrive, GoogleDrive or any similar then paste link to this file here

Upvote 0
Thank you so much sandy666, that’s definitely got me started! (How did you do that?)

The initial relationships I’ve set up have enabled me to develop some simple pivot tables. But there’s some complex ones I’d like to show, which I think will require a few more steps.

1. Would you be able to advise how would I create a relationship, which enables the grouping together of relevant cells in B2:AT2 (sheet: surveys (conversion)) as per the table in the Outcome Themes Sheet (Technical Areas and their sub-categories)? Can’t quite get my head around that.
2. (I think I need to use a ‘measure’ to do this but not sure quite how...). Once number 1 above is complete, I would like to show a pivot for a total of ‘change scores’ across the technical sub-categories for each ‘technical area’ group.
Updated link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18L2e4A1jrjOh-vI_fjpGYcTJ2TbDJx23/view?usp=sharing

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
that’s definitely got me started! (How did you do that?)

look at source table in your original file then in "my" file

DataModel / PivotTable working with Columns(Headers) and Content not with cells

I'll look at this later but in the meantime maybe someone else...

Upvote 0
what is your Excel version?

anyway try with this file: example with new (defined) relationship

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what is your Excel version?

anyway try with this file: example with new (defined) relationship

Unfortunately, I don't think that works. Maybe if I were to show an idea of the results I had in mind (in the 2 x tables below - *numbers are fictitious*), that would help(?):

Technical AreaSub-category% of students with a positive change score
Enjoyment / engagementEngaged reader & enjoys book80%
Confident reader73%
Focus time65%
Reading record signed90%
AccuracyCVC92%
CVCC80%
Di/tripgraphs60%
Tricky words54%

<tbody>
</tbody>

Technical Area% of students improving in 1 technical sub-category% of students improving in 2 technical sub-categories% of students improving in 3 technical sub-categories% of students improving in 4 technical sub-categories
Enjoyment / engagement97%90%74%43%
Accuracy100%93%78%55%
Fluency90%82%56%N/a
Comprehension95%90%78%83%

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back