Basket Analysis in Powerpivot /Dax

barnettjacob

I'm trying to work out how to do a 'Basket Analysis' in Powerpivot using DAX. I've read Alberto's excellent piece and although I'm looking for a similar approach, the fundamental difference is that I'm looking at establishing patterns at a transaction level not a customer level as Alberto does.

Using the 'unattached' Slicer method that Alberto employs in his piece and that Rob uses extensively I want to be able to select a product code from the list and return the sales of other products that were in transactions that featured the slected product.

Here is a fragment of the type of sales data I'm looking at:

Trans Ref Product Units
11100057 Product A 1
11100057 Product B 2
11100057 Product C 1
11100058 Product A 1
11100058 Product B 1
11100059 Product B 1
11100059 Product D 2

On the one hand I've got a reasonable idea of how this should work but just can't quite it to come together! I see the steps as something like:

1 - I select Product A from the slicer.
2 - The measure establishes the Trans Refs that are applicable (in this case 11100057 and 11100058).
3 - The measure then returns a filtered version of the sales table that only has the applicable transactions in.
4 - The measure filters out sales of Product A from the filtered sales table.
5 - I can then happlily analyse the result using all my usual dimensions!

Hope this makes sense!

Rob, Marco, Alberto, I guess I'm looking in your direction on this but would welcome input from anybody!

Regards
Jacob

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi Jacob. I've been watching this one but I don't think I am the guy to address it. I'll check and see if Marco/Alberto have seen your question. I know they are very busy right now with their books though.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rob, appreciate it. Happy to provide a sample file if that's going to help.

Hope this kind of basket analysis is possible - its notoriously difficult to do with 'standard' tools given the amount of data that's generally involved!

Upvote 0
For anybody who is interested, Alberto solved my problem:

=CALCULATE (
SUM ('TY Sales'[Sales EX Gst]),
FILTER (
VALUES ('TY Sales'[Transaction Ref]),
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ('TY Sales'),
USERELATIONSHIP ('TY Sales'[productcode], 'Basket Analysis SKUs'[Filter Product Code])
) > 0
&&
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ('TY Sales'),
USERELATIONSHIP ('TY Sales'[productcode], 'Product'[Product Code])
) > 0
),
USERELATIONSHIP ('TY Sales'[productcode], 'Product'[Product Code])
)

Where 'TY Sales' is the Fact table which has NO relationship to the 'Product' Dimension table. 'Basket Analysis SKUs'[Filter Product Code] is an entirely separate unlinked set of productcodes used to populate the slicer.

Thanks Alberto!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back