DAX Formula for Avg/Max Measure

Jorge Santos

Hi, this might be a quite trivial question, but even after reading my entire book from Marco/Alberto F. I'm still struggling with the following.
Most of my tables look like this:

<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
.tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
</style>

<table class="tableizer-table" border=0 cellborder=0 cellpadding=0 >
<tr class="tableizer-firstrow" bgcolor=#8fbc8f><th>ProdCategory</th><th>User</th><th>Value</th></tr> <tr><td>A</td><td>John</td><td>428</td></tr> <tr><td>B</td><td>John</td><td>159</td></tr> <tr><td>C</td><td>Mary</td><td>284</td></tr> <tr><td>A</td><td>Mary</td><td>39</td></tr> <tr><td>B</td><td>Mary</td><td>28</td></tr> <tr><td>C</td><td>Mary</td><td>853</td></tr> <tr><td>A</td><td>James</td><td>486</td></tr> <tr><td>B</td><td>James</td><td>958</td></tr> <tr><td>C</td><td>Rick</td><td>827</td></tr> <tr><td>A</td><td>Patricia</td><td>346</td></tr> <tr><td>B</td><td>Patricia</td><td>651</td></tr> <tr><td>C</td><td>Patricia</td><td>734</td></tr> <tr><td>A</td><td>Julian</td><td>348</td></tr> <tr><td>B</td><td>Julian</td><td>316</td></tr></table>

Each user could have multiple value rows for different product categories. Now, I use a metric on my analysis that is the maximum value for the user (regardless of the ProdCategory). Let's call that metric MaxValue. What I need to get is the average MaxValue by ProdCategory. I am trying to do this as a Measure as i need to apply various filter context above this.

I'm sure this would be a very easy statement with 2 nested CALCULATE statement or something similar, but so far I have been doing it on SQL and just importing the results table.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
hey Jorge,

Just to be clear, using the example table for Mary...you need to calculate the average of
853 (C)
39 (A)
28 (B)

so the measure should return the following: 306.67

If that's the case, I'm trying to come up with an idea so you don't have to write a measure for all the product categories and then take the average of all those measures.
Also, before I try to come up with an idea, what version of PP are you using? If you are actually using PPv2.0 it would be pretty simple just using the AVERAGEX with the SUMMARIZE function.

The SUMMARIZE function will get you a table with just the MAX of each product category and the averagex will be doing the the average for all the rows within the filters context.

If you are using PPv1.0 then it's another story and would probably need the help of a POWERPIVOTpro.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
The actual formula would look something like this in PPv2.0
=AVERAGEX(
SUMMARIZE(Table1,
Table1[ProdCategory],
Table1[User],
"MAX Value",
MAX(Table1[Value])),
[MAX Value])

Upvote 0
and the following results:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="176"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3364;width:69pt" width="92"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3072;width:63pt" width="84"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:69pt;font-size:11.0pt; color:black;font-weight:700;text-decoration:none;text-underline-style:none; text-line-through:none;font-family:Calibri;border-top:none;border-right:none; border-bottom:.5pt solid #95B3D7;border-left:none;background:#DCE6F1; mso-pattern:#DCE6F1 none" height="20" width="92">Row Labels</td> <td style="width:63pt;font-size:11.0pt;color:black;font-weight:700; text-decoration:none;text-underline-style:none;text-line-through:none; font-family:Calibri;border-top:none;border-right:none;border-bottom:.5pt solid #95B3D7; border-left:none;background:#DCE6F1;mso-pattern:#DCE6F1 none" width="84">Measure 1</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">James</td> <td align="right">722</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">John</td> <td align="right">293.5</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Julian</td> <td align="right">332</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Mary</td> <td align="right">306.6666667</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Patricia</td> <td align="right">577</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Rick</td> <td align="right">827</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt;font-size:11.0pt;color:black; font-weight:700;text-decoration:none;text-underline-style:none;text-line-through: none;font-family:Calibri;border-top:.5pt solid #95B3D7;border-right:none; border-bottom:none;border-left:none;background:#DCE6F1;mso-pattern:#DCE6F1 none" height="20">Grand Total</td> <td style="font-size:11.0pt;color:black;font-weight:700; text-decoration:none;text-underline-style:none;text-line-through:none; font-family:Calibri;border-top:.5pt solid #95B3D7;border-right:none; border-bottom:none;border-left:none;background:#DCE6F1;mso-pattern:#DCE6F1 none" align="right">474.8461538</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Upvote 0
Buclao, thank you very much for this. I was indeed using v1. I have upgraded to v2 and this works perfectly. This summarize is just like a group by thing in sql, which is exactly what I needed. Thank you again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back