Is it possible to use text in Values?

edcnn

I have a several tables. I need to make that slicers horizontal contains the date, slicers vertical - the person. When I select a date and person, I get a value - text that contains comment which person left on this day. But I can not insert text into Values.
How to implement my task?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You cannot add a text column to the pivot values, but you can define a measure that returns a text:
=IF(HASONEVALUE(YourTable[YourColumn]),VALUES(YourTable[YourColumn]);"Many values")

Note that your measure has to return a single value.

Upvote 0
You cannot add a text column to the pivot values, but you can define a measure that returns a text:
=IF(HASONEVALUE(YourTable[YourColumn]),VALUES(YourTable[YourColumn]);"Many values")

Note that your measure has to return a single value.

Many thanks. But how I can implement my simple task?
In fact, the problem is even easier
I need to place a calendar on the Excel sheet and a simple table (person - comment)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, if you just need to display the columns Person & Comment, then you do not need to create a measure for that. Just drag & drop both fields on row, and filter on the date.

Upvote 0
Depending how your data tables are set up and related, the option of adding both Person and Comment to the rows will probably be easiest.

Often when you do it like this (again this depends on what your tables are and how they are related) you will need to add some type of measure to the values field to get your pivot to filter properly when you use the slicers. The measure can be something simple like just a count of the comments. It will probably show up as 1 for every row in your pivot but that doesn't matter. You need the measure to "unify" everything going on in your table relationships, pivots, and slicers. If you don't want the measure column to show in your final report just hide the column in excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back