Getting started with PowerPivot

dugdugdug

Can PP be used with VBA or is it only for displaying large (> 1 million rows) data?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
In 2013 some of the data model is exposed to VBA but PowerPivot itself is not.

Upvote 0
My task is to read csv files containing a few million records, select certain criteria and create a report of the output.

So PP would not be of use, despite it being able to handle very large volumes of data?

Upvote 0
Why would PP not be of use? What does VBA have to do with it?

Upvote 0
actually, it could be of great use! shoot some questions on what specifically you're trying to do and I can guarantee that you'll be able to perform those tasks using Powerpivot ;)

Upvote 0
Why would PP not be of use? What does VBA have to do with it?

actually, it could be of great use! shoot some questions on what specifically you're trying to do and I can guarantee that you'll be able to perform those tasks using Powerpivot ;)

One of things I'm trying to achieve is import large (> 1million rows) csv files, look for a certain criteria, if it exists then extract them, followed by other manipulation stages.

All this needs to be done at a click of a button, so if VBA cannot instruct PP to "do things", ie recording a macro involving PP does not show up any code, then how can PP be of use for automating the process?

Upvote 0
You never mentioned automating an entire process before. If you can reuse the same csv file names, you could probably set up a PP template to do the extraction you need and then just refresh the model (but you would have to do that manually unless using 2013).

Upvote 0
One of things I'm trying to achieve is import large (> 1million rows) csv files, look for a certain criteria, if it exists then extract them, followed by other manipulation stages.

All this needs to be done at a click of a button, so if VBA cannot instruct PP to "do things", ie recording a macro involving PP does not show up any code, then how can PP be of use for automating the process?

You might want to take a look at Data Explorer for the ETL process.

Upvote 0
You never mentioned automating an entire process before. If you can reuse the same csv file names, you could probably set up a PP template to do the extraction you need and then just refresh the model (but you would have to do that manually unless using 2013).

Yes, a very simple example would be to open say 10 large csv files and do something to it.

The first stumbling block is opening it in normal Excel 2010 (because it's large) but PP can manage that except I can't systematically tell it to do 10 times over.

How do I go about setting up a PP template to do the extraction?

Upvote 0

You might want to take a look at Data Explorer for the ETL process.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back