Calculate values - in an array?

tourgis2000

Hi all,

I'm a beginner to PowerPivot, and I don't really know how to ask my question, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a table of values with two columns:

Column A = Items
Column B = Position of Item (values of about 1-15 but could be greater)

I want to produce a measure that (1) calculates the number of Items by position and (2) multiplies that result against the position of the item. An example might be:

ItemPosition
Apples1
Apples3
Apples1
Pears2
Oranges6
Oranges6

<tbody>
</tbody>

The result I'm trying to get to is:

123456Total
Apples21
Pears1
Oranges2
Total211002=((2x1)+(1x2)+(1x3)+(0x4)+(0x5)+(2x6))/6

<tbody>
</tbody>

I can create this in an ordinary pivot and then use calculations to get the answer but how can I do all of it in a PowerPivot measure?

Thanks,

Martin

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Martin, welcome to PowerPivot!

The good news is that this is possible, however its hardly a straightforward introduction to DAX!

I started with a measure to do a basic count of the items (assuming your table is called 'Fact'):

Code:
[Count Items]=COUNTA(Fact[Item])

The main measure then tests to see if the Item has a single value and if so returns [Count Items], if not it runs an interative average function whereby it calculates the Total Count * Position for each position and then averages them.

Code:
=IF(HASONEVALUE(Fact[Item]),[Count Items],
            AVERAGEX(VALUES(Fact[Position]), MAX(Fact[Position])*CALCULATE([Count Items],ALL(Fact[Item])))                            
         )

One potential complication is where not all of the 'Positions' exist in the table - e.g. your sample data had nothing in 4 or 5 - this would be a problem not only in terms of giving you all the column headers in your pivot but also in terms of the average. If this were to be the case in your real data then you would need to use a separate 'Position' table - in a much bigger data set its probably no issue.

Hope this helps!

Jacob

Upvote 0
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

I've tried to implement it but I don't get the right result - very possibly because I don't understand it and I'm not using the right fields. What I managed to do in the meantime was this:

Code:
Buy Count:= COUNTA(Fact[Item])

Code:
Position Sum:= SUM(Fact[Position])

Code:
Position Calculation:= [Position Sum]/[Buy Count]

It seems to work, but I'll spend some time with your method.

Thanks again,

Martin

Upvote 0
I was being too literal, my formula does exactly what you had indicated a bit like an array formula although mathematically your simpler version achieves the same!

For some reason the denominator for the second half of the formula was cut off!! Should have been:

Code:
=IF(HASONEVALUE(Fact[Item]),[Count Items],            
    AVERAGEX(VALUES(Fact[Position]), MAX(Fact[Position])*CALCULATE([Count Items],ALL(Fact[Item]))) / 
        CALCULATE(COUNTA(Fact[Item]), ALL(Fact[Item]))                           
         )

Jacob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back