Filter Not Working Inside Calculate

azbasketcat

I'm trying to create a pivot table that displays the most recently used bank for each store. I have a scenario where stores have been changing banks over the last several months and I want to quickly find out what bank a store is currently using.

I am using a single PowerPivot table that contains bank transactions from all stores and all banks with the following columns:

1) Transaction ID (Primary key - unique and sequential)
2) Store ID
3) Date (a store may have 0, 1 or more transactions per day)
4) Amount
5) Bank name

The pivot table will be pretty simple with the Store ID in the rows and the Bank Name in the values.

I created a measure to get the Max Transaction ID = max(Bank[Transaction ID]). This measure works.

However, I can not get my calculate function to filter to one row for each store.

Here is my measure for Most Recent Bank = CALCULATE(Values(Bank[Bank Name]),FILTER(Bank,Bank[Transaction ID]=[Max Transaction ID]))

Any help on why this does not filter to the row equal to the Max Transaction ID for each store is appreciated.

Thanks - Randy

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Randy, you are close!

The piece you are missing is an ALL() on the transaction reference to open out the filter context. Try:

Code:
=CALCULATE(VALUES(Bank[Bank Name]),                         
                     FILTER(ALL(Bank[Transaction ID]), Bank[Transaction ID]=MAX(Bank[Transaction ID])
                               )
                    )

Although you can use a separate measure in the FILTER(), it can go wrong when paired with the ALL() so I find it easier conceptually to do it this way in this instance.

Upvote 0
Jacob - Thanks so much. It worked. I had tried using All() inside and outside the Filter function, but without success. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is somewhat similar to the above issue but I can't seem to get the syntax correct.
I’m working with a pivot table

• Connected to external data source in SQL
  • NetSales is the measure I am working for value
  • Year & DayPart (lunch, dinner) are across the top as columns
  • Revenue centers down the left side as rows
  • There are multiple years of data
First attempt I was able to get NetSales as a “% or Parent Row” and as a “% of Parent Column”. “% of Parent Total” does not give me the results I am anticipating.
I’m thinking that the result lies in the PowerPivotàCalculated Fields area but am having a difficult time with the syntax.
If I use =[Sum of NetSales]/CALCULATE([Sum of NetSales]) I get 1 which is what I would expect.
When using GetPivotData the following formula returns the number that I wanting as the denominator
=GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Sum of NetSales]",$A$8,"[cvw_DashDate].[FYr]","[cvw_DashDate].[FYr].&[2012]")

So my thought is that the following should get me close to the result that I am wanting
=[Sum of NetSales]/CALCULATE([Sum of NetSales],cvw_DashDate[FYr])

Advance thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back