PowerPivot Transactions per Day Analysis

spalmer

Hi,

I'm attemting to do a transaction analysis using PP of how many transactions occured per day. I have my data linked to a calendar table but when I choose the calendar columns of Year, month and day the pivot table is blank. I added calculated columns in my Budget data table for year month and day and when I choose them for the rows then the data shows up. I'm totally confused!

I have uploaded a copy of my spreadsheet here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45530070/PI Transaction Analysis 2013-08-10.xlsx

The challenge is that I have 6 other data tables linked to the calendar lookup table that I want to show in columns such that over all the different types of transactions I will get a grand total of how many transactions occurred per day.

I'm relatively new to PP and was hoping this would be an easy start to learning about this powerful tool. I have watched a lot of you tube and also bought Rob Collier's book and for some reason I'm totally stumped. Very frustrating when I know it's probably something really silly that I'm NOT doing right!

I'm ready to give up and do the analysis within excel.

I'm desperate! Please help me stay on the PowerPivot line!

Thanks in advance,
Suzi

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi Suzi. I just looked at your workbook. Your budget table has date/time values in it like 1/11/2012 12:06:08 PM and your calendar table lacks times (they show up as 12:00 am which is the same as lacking a time).

So the relationship between your two tables IS in place, but there are ZERO matching values between Budget and Calendar. I created a new calc column in your Budget table with the formula =DATE(YEAR([Creation Date]), MONTH([Creation Date]), DAY([Creation Date])) - that strips off the time values.

Then change your relationship to link based on that new column, not [Creation Date]

Should be good to go :)

Upvote 0
WOW!! Now that DOES make a difference! I should have come to you earlier! When you put it in those terms it makes absolute sense! Thanks so much Rob! I loved your book as well and i will continue to Study it!

I may be back!

Thanks again,
Suzi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back