Forecasting with DAX

serky

Hi

what's the best way to forecast with DAX? I am reporting monthly data for the financial year and need to estimate the 'end-of-year' number. This will change each month as I will have an extra month of data.

An example is income per month eg - July 13 = 10,000, August 13 = 13,000, September 13 = 12,000. What would the forecast income be in June 14?

I have been using a straight line extrapolation in Excel and am wondering if it can be replaced with DAX.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
The only thing I have done in this regard in DAX was a really simple... "take a point X days back, take the current point... calculate the slope" sorta thing, and projected forward using that slope. It's not a real "least fit squares" sort of best fit line sorta of thing though...

Maybe this helps? Linear Regression « PowerPivotPro

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. As it's all so new have decided to keep it simple. Am extracting the monthly data to Excel using CUBE formula and then using Excel functions SLOPE and INTERCEPT to calculate a forecast number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back