Changing Linked Table to different Spreadsheet

Bluemoonrising

Hi All,

Newbee PowerPivot user & I'm sure there must be a solution my problem!!

I have a spreadsheet with 6 powerpivot tables each on a separate tab - each powerpivot with multiple slicers. The underlying data model is updated via a linked excel table. The model is working perfectly with no issues. I render the spreadsheet via SharePoint & everything is perfect - until the spreadsheet is too large for SharePoint. The spreadsheet contains the linked table data which is generated from lookups against other external spreadsheets (I know that I could pull these into PowerPivot data model but that's a project for another day!). I thought that I could move the tab containing the table to a new spreadsheet & the linked table would automatically update but it doesn't! I don't want to completely rebuild the model for the sake of repointing a linked table to a new location. Is there a way to update the linked table reference?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
No.you can't move it a new workbook.it has to stay or you model will never get updated again. Workaround is load your data directly to powerpivot. Why linked table. It's only useful for quick analysis on small tables. If you have over 0.5M rows, don't use linked table

Upvote 0
Think we will need to hear a bit about your refresh story to give the best advice... but in general, XLBob is right -- you want to get that data out. Depending on where that data comes from... there answer my shift a bit (csv, xlsx, sql, power query, blah, blah)... but I do like to keep data sources and model separate (and heck, for on prem sharepoint you can even consider model and reports separate as well).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back