Complicated formula

didijaba

Hello,
in the Excel data model I need to calculate the interest that becomes payable when the principal of a loan is partially repaid, where: Payable interest = (Total interest accrued to date - Any amount already payable) x Repaid amount / Outstanding amount before repayment The problem is when there are a series of repayments. I am using Power Pivot DAX and I get a circular reference error when trying to subtract the sum of the amounts already payable. I have the repayment number, the total interest accrued to date and the ratio of the repaid amount to the outstanding amount before repayment as three columns of my Excel data model. I think the problem in mathematical terms looks like the following, where Ax is the amount of interest accrued at the date of the xth repayment, and rx is the ratio of repaid amount to outstanding amount before repayment: Repayment number Interest accrued Ratio of amounts Payable interest 1 r1 A1 r1 x A1 2 r2 A2 r2 x (A2-r1A1) 3 r3 A3 r3 x (A3-r2(A2-r1A1)-r1A1) 4 r4 A4 r4 x (A4-r3(A3-r2(A2-r1A1)-r1A1)-r2(A2-r1A1)-r1A1) etc. etc. What would be the formula for a calculated field in Power Pivot that gives the Payable interest given the first three columns? Please look at the attached file, basically I need a calculated column in the DAX data model (Table1) which gives the same result as the yellow F column in the Excel table (interest payable), using only data in columns A to EGrateful for any help
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vidl37sweyxexvm/Sample loan data.xlsx?dl=0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Ya, this is where you wish there was a MULTIPLYX, so you don't have to use freaky SUMX/EXP/LN maths. On the bright side your subject is very accurate ;) Last time I had a similiar problem, I near gave up... but ended up reaching out to rob at powerpivotpro, who was able to think through it. It wasn't fun times... but given how far you have already come in your thinking (based on your calc columns in the model), I think you *can* get there... but ugh.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I have missed something, my solution is no good. I need to use sum from earliest data to earlier data in same calculated column using dax. How to do this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back