countif([columnA],[@columnB]) in DAX or M?

alex1alex

Board Regular
Title says most of it...
I'd like the DAX or M equivalent of countif([columnA],[@columnB])
(where I'm getting a count of how many times the cell in columnB appears in columnA)

(As an aside, In the end, what I'm really looking to do is filter out any rows where @ColumnB isn't in ColumnA. I'm using the PATH function and it doesn't like for you to include rows where the parent_columnName isn't in ID_columnName)

Thanks,
Alex

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hello Alex,

Here is what I use: =IF(IFERROR(SEARCH([value to find], [column to search in]), 0), 1, 0), will return 1 if found, 0 if not. So you want all the 0s.

I hope it helps.

Olivier.

Upvote 0
Hi Oliver,

I think that's comparing columnA = columnB for just the individual rows.

(the equivalent of =COUNTROWS(FILTER(theTable, [columnA ]=[columnB]) )

So, not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks for trying though!

-Alex

Upvote 0
AH!
I was looking for this:
=COUNTROWS(FILTER(theTable, EARLIER([columnA])=[columnB]))

Where 1 is returned if the current row columnA is found anywhere in columnB and (blank) is returned if it's not.

I'd forgotten "EARLIER is Probably Best Understood as CURRENTROW" via: http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2013/07/writing-a-subtotal-calc-column-aka-the-simplest-use-of-the-earlier-function/

PS: I'd be happy to see a M/PowerQuery version so that I can do the clean up in one step :)

Upvote 0
Have a look if this is it:

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Tabelle1"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ColA", type text}, {"ColB", type text}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Text.Contains([ColA],[ColB]) = true then 1 else 0),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = 1))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

Upvote 0
Hi Imke,
I'm afraid that this also yields the same results where the comparison is just between the two columns on the same row.
Thanks for the suggestion though,
Alex

Upvote 0
For M, this works ( although it could probably be cleaned up...the important part is in bold). I got the hint from miguel's article.
I hope the conversion between list and table can be done cleaner. Also, I need to run go through this a few times so I'd like to make it into a function.

let

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
ColA = List.Buffer( Source[ColA]),
ColB = List.Buffer( Source[ColB]),
DistinctAmounts = List.Distinct( ColB ),
Exclude = List.Difference(DistinctAmounts ,ColA),
#"Table from List1" = Table.FromList(Exclude, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
S2=Source,
Merge = Table.NestedJoin(S2,{"ColB"},#"Table from List1",{"Column1"},"NewColumn"),
#"Expand NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge, "NewColumn", {"Column1"}, {"NewColumn.Column1"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expand NewColumn", each [NewColumn.Column1] = null)
in
#"Filtered Rows"

Upvote 0
Source[ColA] would yield a list with all the values from that ColumnA. You could use it and then use List.Select do to a count operation over that filtered list

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,
Now I understand, sorry - have been too quick on this.

You’ll find the version with the function & a “slimmed” alternative in this file (too much to explain as it includes a new table as well - just ask if needed):
https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx...FF!10820&parId=DE165DDF5D02DAFF!107&app=Excel

Depending on if the result of the first round should restrict the result of the following rounds you take the AND (yes) or the OR (no)-version.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back