Multiple Relationship between same Tables

megh_a

Hello,

I am developing a database in PowerPivot and I am wondering how to create many relationships between the same 2 tables. All relationships must be active.

Let me give you a DUMMY example: let's say that the database has 2 tables, the Employee table and Manager table (below images).

291575employeetable.png

352360managertable.png

Because I have 2 manager fields in the employee table, I need to create 2 links between the employee and manager tables (see below images).

391348link1.png

621893link2.png

Right now, one of the links is inactive...
Is there a way in PowerPivot to create 2 active links like that ?

Thanks for anyone who can help !

P.S.: I have Power Pivot version 11.0.3000.0 on Excel 2010 on Windows 7

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I have done something similar with a SQL backend... If you go to the table you want to duplicate, then select Table Design/Table properties and switch to "Query Editor". Copy the resulting code and paste it into Word. Cancel from this window. Go to Home/Existing Connections/Open, select the Write a query... option. Copy and paste the code from the Word document, giving the query a name different from the original table.

Upvote 0
Thanks JNM for your reply.

Unfortunately, my "Table Property" button is grayed out because I am using "Linked Tables"... do you have another idea of how I can use your method ? Or should I not use Linked-Tables ?

Upvote 0
Let's assume Manager table 1 has two columns - Manager code and Manager name, there are six rows to this table and it's on Sheet 1 starting at A2. Add a second Manager table starting at D2, down six rows. and then in Cell D3, put the formula =A3 and in E3 put the formula =B3. If this is in Excel 2010 or 2013, it will then autofill the formula keeping the Manager info in sync. If you add a new row to Manager 1, you just need to add a new row to Manager 2.

Upvote 0
Hi JNM,

the formulas are a good idea ! I also used some "LookupValue" to replace relationships when the data to retrieve was very simple (changing an ID for a name).

Problem solved, thanks !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back