Running Power Queries using dynamic parameter table from Excel with multiple values for same field

peppy

Hi,

I have been struggling with this issue for a while. I am trying to use a table (1 column called "Project", x-number of rows) called "Parameter" in a worksheet to enter project numbers that I want to run a query against. This table could have one project number, two project numbers, or several project numbers based on what the user wants. The query will then take these project numbers and filter the transaction table based on the projects in the "Parameter" table. I have found a way to do this, but I have to manually write M-code for each value (row) in the Parameter table and reference this in the query code. My question is this: Is there a way to pass all the values in a "Parameter"-table (not knowing how many projects the user wants to enter) to the query without defining each one? I am hoping not to have to limit the table to 5 projects only or 10 projects only etc. See my example that works for two project numbers in the Parameter table below:

Code:
let

Project_Parameter = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Parameter"]}[Content],
[COLOR="#0000FF"]Project_Value = Project_Parameter{0}[Project],
Project_Value1 = Project_Parameter{1}[Project],[/COLOR]

Source = Oracle.Database("ifs8prod"),
    IFSAPP_GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW = Source{[Schema="IFSAPP",Item="GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW"]}[Data],
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(IFSAPP_GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW,{"ACCOUNTING_YEAR", "VOUCHER_TYPE", "VOUCHER_NO", "AMOUNT", "PROJECT_ACTIVITY_ID", "TEXT", "REFERENCE_SERIE", "REFERENCE_NUMBER", "ACCOUNT", "ACCOUNT_DESC", "PROJECT_ID", "ACCOUNTING_PERIOD", "YEAR_PERIOD_KEY"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns" , [COLOR="#0000FF"]each ([PROJECT_ID] = Number.ToText(Project_Value, "D", "") or ([PROJECT_ID] = Number.ToText(Project_Value1, "D", [/COLOR]""))))

in
#"Filtered Rows"

Regards,

Peppy

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
let

Project_Parameter = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Parameter"]}[Content][Project],
//Project_Value = Project_Parameter{0}[Project],
//Project_Value1 = Project_Parameter{1}[Project],

Source = Oracle.Database("ifs8prod"),
IFSAPP_GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW = Source{[Schema="IFSAPP",Item="GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW"]}[Data],
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(IFSAPP_GEN_LED_PROJ_VOUCHER_ROW,{"ACCOUNTING_YEAR", "VOUCHER_TYPE", "VOUCHER_NO", "AMOUNT", "PROJECT_ACTIVITY_ID", "TEXT", "REFERENCE_SERIE", "REFERENCE_NUMBER", "ACCOUNT", "ACCOUNT_DESC", "PROJECT_ID", "ACCOUNTING_PERIOD", "YEAR_PERIOD_KEY"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns" , each List.Contains(Project_Parameter,[PROJECT_ID]))

in
#"Filtered Rows"

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks to both of you for your quick response. I think this is exactly what I am looking for, but I think I just need to tweek it a bit. I tried the code you provided billszysz, but I get in trouble with the number type, since I have to convert the number to text in order for this to work. I used the Number.ToText for each individual value, but this seems not to work for the List.Contains(). How can I convert the values in the List.Contains() to text? Any ideas? Here is the error message I got: Unexpected error: ORA-01722: invalid number

Upvote 0
Just an update to my post. The problem got resolved by using ChangedType = List.Transform(Project_Parameter,Number.ToText), to transform the values to text. Thanks again for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back