Help Needed Converting Excel Formula to DAX

mbp257

I would like to convert an excel formula into DAX (or find something that accomplishes the same goal) in order to save space and use pivot tables.

The formula references a single projection and multiples it by 'x' number of projects on a schedule at different points in time.

Example excel data:
ABCD
1ProjectionScheduleAnswerFormula in Column C
21001100=SUMPRODUCT(A$2:A2,N(OFFSET($B$2:$B2,ROWS($B$2:$B2)-ROW($B$2:$B2)+ROW($B$2)-1,0)))
390090=SUMPRODUCT(A$2:A3,N(OFFSET($B$2:$B3,ROWS($B$2:$B3)-ROW($B$2:$B3)+ROW($B$2)-1,0)))
4802280=SUMPRODUCT(A$2:A4,N(OFFSET($B$2:$B4,ROWS($B$2:$B4)-ROW($B$2:$B4)+ROW($B$2)-1,0)))
5700250=SUMPRODUCT(A$2:A5,N(OFFSET($B$2:$B5,ROWS($B$2:$B5)-ROW($B$2:$B5)+ROW($B$2)-1,0)))
6600220=SUMPRODUCT(A$2:A6,N(OFFSET($B$2:$B6,ROWS($B$2:$B6)-ROW($B$2:$B6)+ROW($B$2)-1,0)))

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Sorry, I am too lame at "normal" excel to help you translate this. I tried to intuit the meaning by looking at the "Answer" column, but totally failed.

Can you maybe expand out a few "Answers". Like 250 comes from... 90+70+60 (all the schedule 0)... that clearly isn't it... :)

Upvote 0
What this amounts to is several projects at different stages of their life cycle.

In period 1, 1 project starts.
In period 2, 0 projects start.
In period 3, 2 projects start.
And so on...

It probably would've been clearer if I added a hypothetical date next to the schedule.

This is essentially what the formula is doing:
Period 1Period 3Period 3Answer
Project 1Project 1Project 2(Sum)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I think I am slowly wrapping my head around what you are saying? In the initial table, "Schedule" is more like "NumProjectsStarting" ? A row kind of represents a "period of time", but also... Some sort of "projection" (from period 2 to 3, the projection changes from 90 to 80?)

Upvote 0
You're exactly right re: "Schedule" and "period of time".

The "Projection" is a static set of inputs representing a typical amount to be produced each month. These inputs are at Time = 0 and are not calendar specific but represent the amount that will be produced in each subsequent month after the project starts. So, when NumProjectsStarting for November = 1, one project starts at the beginning of the "Projection". In December, if NumProjectsStarting = 2, 2 projects start at the beginning of the projection while November's project is in the second month of the "Projection".

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

Same as you Scott, I couldn't understand how the answers were calculated. But now I do, and I tried to create columns/measures to replicate this formula but without any success.

Mbp, do you have to keep that exact base structure? I mean only 3 columns: period, projection, schedule. How flexible are you?

Olivier.

Upvote 0
Ya, I am gonna need to simplify this or something :)

If there was a table like...

MonthOffset Projection
0 100
1 90
2 80

That is totally separate from other data... does that "make sense" in your scenario? (All projects have the same projections?)

Upvote 0
Separate tables work fine. In fact, I will end up having several Projection tables with corresponding Schedule tables.

• factProjectionType1
  • factProjectionType2
  • factScheduleType1
  • factScheduleType2

Thanks

Upvote 0
Just for the record, you will likely have an easier time if you do a single Project table (with a Type column) and a separate Schedule table (again with a type column). Dealing with "parallel tables" is non-fun.

So, let me see if I have this right... We have a projected # of units (per period offset), and some # of projects coming online (I assume "by date"?).

The 280 in C3 of your original table is "2 projects at 1st period + 1 project at 3rd period = 100*2 + 80."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back