Power Query Connecting to SharePoint

NiccoExcel

While trying to connect Power Query to a list in SharePoint I continue to receive the following error:

"We encountered an error while trying to connect to "[SharePoint Site]". Details: "SharePoint: Request failed (404): The remote server returned error: (404) Not Found. (Cannot find resource for the request $metadata.)"

I thought it may have been a problem with my URL, but my boss is using the exact same URL and it works fine. He even sent me a pre-connected Excel document and when I tried to "edit" the source I again received the error. When I went to edit the source I didn't actually change anything. I just opened the dialogue box and then closed it again, but I received the error.

I think it may have something to do with my permissions on SharePoint, but I am not sure. Can someone help me with this please?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hello Nicco,

Does it shows something when you try to access this link on your browser?

Else, I also had this kind of issues in my company, but in the end I could make it work by adding "/_vti_bin/listdata.svc" at the end of the Sharepoint site URL, it would show all the datafeeds available. Try to input this URL in Power Query and then select the datafeed you're interested in.

Hope this helps,
Olivier.

Upvote 0
olivierhbh,

When I copy and paste my link into a browser I am able to access the main SharePoint site. I tried adding the string you suggested and I still wasn't able to connect. I think it has something to do with my corporate permissions or the link between Power Query and SharePoint. I suspect this because my boss is able to connect to the data in SharePoint using the exact same link. I can also connect to this data using Access.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
When you say your boss can connect to the data, is it via PQ as well?

If you're not sure to have reading rights, make sure to have them of course, but if you tell me you can use it through access, that should be fine.

I checked and I see that Access has a different access to Sharepoint, because when I enter the site URL in it, it works, whereas in PQ it doesn't.

Maybe you can try to import an Odata Feed using http://yourSPserver.com/sites/YOURSITE/_vti_bin/listdata.svc.

Else I don't know, but indeed make sure you have read rights.

Olivier.

Upvote 0
My boss can access the data in PQ as well.

I will check on my reading rights, but I am almost certain I have the necessary rights. I'll need to look into it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back