Cross Filtering Question

chrisco

I'm trying to build a Profit and Loss for my company that is scalable. I've used the "Cascading Subtotals" post from the PowerPivotPro forum here: ( Profit & Loss–The Art of the Cascading Subtotal - PowerPivotPro)

The problem I'm running into is with my slicers and the ability to cross filter. We have multiple Divisions, which have multiple Regions, each with multiple Business Units.

I would like the ability to select a Division, Region or Business Unit and the other 2 Slicers cross filtered. For some reason, this isn't happening. I've ensured that the cross filtering is enabled via slicer settings.

My relationships are:

FactTable[BusinessUnits] > dimAssignments[BusinessUnits]
dimAssignments[Divisions] > dimDivisions[Division] *
dimAssignments[Regions] > dimRegions[Regions]*

*field is selected for Slicer.

The other slicer is dimAssignemnts[BusinessUnitText].

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
In Power Pivot, filters normally don't flow "uphill" - meaning from the many side back to the 1 side of the relationship unless you adjust your measures: Filters CAN Flow Up Hill – Via Formulas That Is - PowerPivotPro
I'd think in your case it would be much easier to denormalize your Dim/Lookup-tables. Then you have all filtercolumns in one table and cross filtering would work without touching the existing measures.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how that applies. The dimensions I am using for slicers aren't included in measures. They are also the "one" side of the "one to many" relationship. Am I misunderstanding your response?

Upvote 0
I was just guessing that the dimensions under each other also had 1:n relationships - sorry, should have been clearer. It looks in your example that merging the DimDivisions and DimRegions into the DimAssignments would do what I meant. Then you'd have a start schema where all your desired dimension attributes sit in one table.

Upvote 0

After your suggestions, the relationships are set up like this. It still doesn't allow the slicers to cross-filter though.

I've had a few glitches where the program would crash or I would lose auto-recover (before any changes). I'm wondering if this caused a problem.

Upvote 0
Have a look at this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/08embvl3z5tigb3/Kopie von PL-Example-Stage-1.xlsx?dl=0

There seems to be an issue with the slicers in that example (selections are greyed out - crossfilters will disappear). Solved it by creating a simple Pivot that is connected to the same slicers (you could hide that). But check out if all figures come out correctly - didn't do that myself.

& Don't ask why.... :)

Somewhere I read that crossfiltering costs performance - but cannot remember where.

Upvote 0
I wasn't able to check out the file (I'm guessing my office internet security), but I took the idea you mentioned and linked the Slicers to a very simple pivot.

It worked!

I've read the same thing regarding cross-filters costing performance. Its in the Dax Formulas for Power Pivot book as well as Rob Collie's blog. I'm sure it's elsewhere, but those are the resources I have at hand. I believe its because each slicer has to re-query the data to perform a "cross-filter". I'm at a 1MM rows of data so I was concerned if that was a the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back