Power Pivot slicing and dicing with count

saurabh726

Hi All,

I have been playing with power pivot for some time now and what i'm not able to establish is basically Join on 1 to n as power pivot only accepts 1 to 1 join. Basically what i mean is that if in my

Table-1
Field-1 Field-2 Field-3

Table-2
Field-1

Now Field-1 is equal to Field-1 to Field-3 of table 1 and i want to summarize them as shown in the attached file so that i can slice and dice the data the way i want to..

Book1.xlsx - Speedy Share - upload your files here

A working copy of the file is at above link..

Now in order to bypass that i build my table and used formulas to get my results and then building another table using Dax formulas which gives me the desired results what i want but it doesn't give me an additional functionality of drilling down like what i have in the view sheet when you change the value of I3. I know this is not their because their is no relationship in place and that's what i'm not able to crack is how to build this 1 to n relationship.

This i want to do with powerpivot only since the actual thing that i'm building is much more complex then what i have showed here and i can work out the rest of the logics once i fix this one.

Also i'm building on this on excel 2010 but if 2013 allows you to do this since there is an update on powerpivot model. I can work on that since i got 2013 as well.

Need inputs or thoughts about how to best accomplish this..

Saurabh...

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Your data appears to be poorly organised. Data should be transformed prior to hitting Power Pivot otherwise you'll experience lots of headaches.

Power Pivot does support one-to-many but not joining on multiple fields. The way around this is to concatenate or unpivot these fields.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyanscott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back