another user cannot filter pivot from power query

cheesywotsit

i'm new to power query and the forum so forgive me for my noob question. i did a search but couldn't find anything.
im using windows 10 64bit, excel 2016 business edition.

so here's my problem...

• i have a "database" workbook which stores all the raw data that i want power query to aggregate together. it's about 20mb.
  • in another workbook called "dashboard", the power query calling data from "database" is connected.
  • the "dashboard" file has a pivot table with slicers, etc for a management overview. this file is light - only 1mb which is suitable for sending in an e-mail.

I noticed that external users (not connected to the "database" file) can't use the pivot table filters in the "dashboard" file. i already went to the options to turn off automatic updating but it didn't help.

is there a way to fix this or does the other users have to be connected to the database file?

thanks!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Matt. Thanks for getting back to me. Cool blog.

Actually, I did setup my pivot table the same way as you described in your link. Another user can't refresh the data which is expected but he also can't filter the pivot table :( I use pivot slicers as the filters. Do you think it has something to do with the power query not being installed on their computer?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I would be surprised if it is a lack of Power Query installed on the other PC. but I have never tested it so I can't be 100% sure. You could turn off Power Query on your PC and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Well that other blog post you are looking at was written by me too. But it specifically refers to times when he other user has the source files and needs to refresh them. That is not what I understood your problem to be.

Yes, in Excel 2016, you probably can't disable Power Query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back