Pivot inside Powerpivot - sum all data to single row with unique ID

Lennythelucker

I like to pivot a datatable with a lot of values per row (for each product and day) to a single row per customer.
now I make a pivot table to excel to do this, link it to a table and bring it back to powerpivot.
then I can link it to other tables due to the unique ID
see image:
Example_Powerpivot_issue.jpg

this side step to excel and back is not nice and I feel there must be a better way. I like to do this inside Powerpivot. is there an option I don't know about to do this sort of moddeling?

thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
It can easily be done with Power Query (or "Get and Transform Data").

Tab data - get data - connect to your SQL Database and select your data - in Power Query select ID and customer column, choose Group By and define your aggregations.

Maybe you need to adjust some data types and now you can load your data into the Datamodel.

In the code below I use an Excel table instead of a SQL Database, but hopefully this will be enough for you to adjust to your specific situation:

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="SQLData"]}[Content],
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}, {"customer", type text}, {"period", Int64.Type}, {"sales", Int64.Type}, {"Product", type text}}),
    Grouped = Table.Group(Typed, {"ID", "customer"}, {{"Min period", each List.Min([period]), type number}, {"Max period", each List.Max([period]), type number}, {"total sales", each List.Sum([sales]), type number}})
in
    Grouped

Basically it means that your entire process is now done in 1 simple query.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
great, thanks for your quick response. I am going to try this out.
I assumed power quiry would not work due to the high amout of data of some databases (5M+), but if I can pre group, it will work

And will this still be easy to refresh (one click) I like end users to be selfsufficient.

looks great.
I am going to dig in.

Upvote 0
Power query should be fine as long as you only use the UI (hence you get nice query folding). The other option is to just write some sql code and paste it in the power pivot query load wizard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back