Power Query: Reference specific step of another query

barjoman

Board Regular
Greetings Power Users,

In Power Query, there is an option to Reference one query in another. So if I have QueryA with 5 steps:

Source
Step1
Step2
Step3
Step4

I can create a new QueryB that references QueryA by setting Source = QueryA. This always makes the starting point of QueryB the final step of QueryA, and updates accordingly if QueryA is changed.

What I am trying to do is reference Step2 of QueryA and ignore all of the subsequent steps. So the start point of QueryB will be whatever the output of QueryA is as of Step2.

I doubt this is possible, but the hive might have the answer.

Thanks,
Ben

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
No it is not possible. But you can make one query that ends with step2 and use that as the basis for the additional steps in queries A and B.

Upvote 0
In addition a to MarcelBeug's comment, if the step you want is mid-query, you could split that query using the split feature creating 2 queries and an end point for the step you need

Upvote 0
In addition a to MarcelBeug's comment, if the step you want is mid-query, you could split that query using the split feature creating 2 queries and an end point for the step you need
Hi Matt
I know this thread is now old, but do you have any pointers to your solution regarding the Split Feature in Power Query

Upvote 0
Hi MartinL,

Select the step in the power query, then simply do a right mouse click and select the option from the context menu: it's something with Extract previous.

Upvote 0
Hi MartinL,

Select the step in the power query, then simply do a right mouse click and select the option from the context menu: it's something with Extract previous.
That feature is awesome.
I was pulling in the same awkward source 3 times, now I have just split it 3 times and reference the source at the point I need.
Many many thanks

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CantExcel123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back