Vlookup providing wrong answer.

Oranjin

Board Regular
Hello,

I need to attach product managers to products. The problem I am having is that Vlookup is pulling in the wrong name. So for product 32456 it is pulling in product manager X instead of the appropriate one, Y. I have a column set up next to it, that is referencing the same range, and it is pulling in PCD. This is also wrong. I found where PCD is. For the first column in the table, where PCD is, the product entered there is
BACS16W5A

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm not clear how 32456 can be read as BACS16W5A. In some cases it is pulling in the correct response.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
It would help if you could post the formula you are using and a small sample of your data.
One thing to check is if you leave the 4th argument in the VLOOKUP either blank or TRUE it will look for the first approximate match, which may be your issue. If you set the 4th argument to FALSE or 0 it will look for an exact match.

From Excel help:
Code:
4. Optionally, you can specify TRUE if you want an approximate match or FALSE if you want an exact match of the return value. If you don't specify anything, the default value will always be TRUE or approximate match.

Upvote 0
The formulas I am using are.

In column L. I had if error around this one too, but removed it in order to trouble shoot it.
Code:
=IVLOOKUP(F779,Sheet1!$B$4:$CD$711,48,FALSE)

IN column M

Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(F1135,Sheet1!$B$4:$CD$711,5,FALSE),"")

Data

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
RFP ItemBoeing Contracting SiteBoeing user siteSupplier Part NumberCorrected Quoted Part NumberPart NumberDescriptionNAICS CodeNAICS Size StandardThree Year Total Estimated DemandContacts/ Less Contacts (IF AVAILABLE QUOTE WITH CONTACTS)PMMFG Approved

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Starts in column B. One ref in Vlookup goes al the way out to 47. If you need more material, please let me know.
Ref table

REQUESTED PARTPARTFactoryWarehouseMFGREQUESTED PARTQTPCOSTREQUESTED QTYPART TYPELEAD TIMEQTY ON HANDPROMISE DATESELECTED COSTSHIP & DEBIT

<tbody>
</tbody>
18969.00Not in ASW company PGSB189690100.0000

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back