Combining first come first served with random selection from a waiting list.

rorymacaskill1

I'm part of an organisation that is altering the way it manages a waiting list, and we have decided we want a way of picking n people per year to join. However, we don't want this done on a first-come-first-served basis, nor do we want an entirely randomised selection, rather a combination of the two where the probability of being picked at random increases linearly with increasing time on the waiting list i.e. someone that has been on the waiting list for longer will be more likely to be picked than someone who has recently joined, though some chance remains for someone new to the waiting list to be picked. Any suggestions on how to model this in Excel?

Fairly proficient user, so nothing off limits!

Thanks in advance,
Rory

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
One extra bit of information (just to make it even more complicated!), we would like the chances of the person that has been on the waiting list the longest to be 5x as likely (or ideally p​ times, i.e. take the value from a cell) to be picked vs. the newest member.

Upvote 0
Hi @pvr928

It is more of a theoretical problem than a real-life one, and is actually for use in a similar report that going to look into modelling the effects of how different 'selection processes' affect will diversity etc. in the organisation, when there is a distinct correlation for various reasons between the time people join the waiting list and their characteristics.

I do appreciate the link though!

Rory

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

C3: =C2+IFERROR(((B2-MIN(B$2:B$5))*N+MAX(B$2:B$5)-B2)/(MAX(B$2:B$5)-MIN(B$2:B$5)),1)
B8: =INDEX(A2:A5,MATCH(RAND(),C2:C5/C6)) Array entered

Book1
ABCDE
1Days waitingCumulative weightN5
2Mary50
3Martha101.00
4Bill152.21
5Bob1003.63
8PickBob
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back