Formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

wmichael

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello.

Seeking a formula to extract details from the CURRENT DATE START (E) cell to populate in the MONTH (A) cell and the WEEK (B) cell instead of me manually entering the month and week- appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.

--- Michael

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
ABCDEFGH
MONTHWEEKPAST DATE STARTPAST DATE ENDCURRENT DATE STARTCURRENT DATE ENDFUTURE DATE STARTFUTURE DATE END
Oct4Sun, Oct 1, 2017Mon, Oct 30, 2017
Oct4Sun, Oct 1, 2017Mon, Oct 30, 2017
Jan4Sun, Jan 1, 2017Tue, Jan 30, 2018
Jan4Sun, Jan 1, 2017Tue, Jan 30, 2018
Sep1Fri, Sep 1, 2017Sun, Sep 30, 2018
Jul2Sun, Jul 1, 2018

<tbody>
</tbody>

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Re: Seeking formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

In A2 you can simply put:

Code:
=$E2

And format the cells as "mmm". Alternatively you could use:

Code:
=TEXT($E2,"mmm")

For column B, I don't understand how you get those numbers. I thought you would just be putting

Code:
=WEEKNUM($E2)

But that does give your example values.

WBD

Upvote 0
Re: Seeking formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

what is the rationale behind the week number?

Upvote 0

what is the rationale behind the week number?

Thank you for asking- this data is part of an event planning spreadsheet that can sort events and associated tasks in many ways including the month and week they happen in- in order for task owners to plan two years out.

Upvote 0

Hello. =$E2 does not render "Oct" only but rather duplicates the cell in E2

=$E2

Upvote 0

Select column A, press Ctrl+1, go to the Number tab, select Custom and enter "mmm" (without quotes) in the Type: field.

WBD

Upvote 0

Thank you for asking- this data is part of an event planning spreadsheet that can sort events and associated tasks in many ways including the month and week they happen in- in order for task owners to plan two years out.

I think the question was "how do you calculate column B?"

WBD

Upvote 0

I think the question was "how do you calculate column B?"

WBD

To calculate column B: if the day of the month is 1-7 the B would equal the number one. if the day of the month is 8-14 the B would equal the number two. if the day of the month is 15-21 the B would equal the number three. if the day of the month is 22-31 the B would equal the number four.

Upvote 0

That doesn't match with your data. All dates are 1st of the month so all weeks should be 1. However, for that calculation in B2:

Code:
=INT((DAY(E2)-1)/7)+1

WBD

Upvote 0

That doesn't match with your data. All dates are 1st of the month so all weeks should be 1. However, for that calculation in B2:

Code:
=INT((DAY(E2)-1)/7)+1

WBD

You are correct and thank you for calling out any confusion. My statement does not match my data, which is poor editing on my part before posting, but my statement is the result I am seeking.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back