Evaluating text string as math

shadowsong

I have two columns of text cells with values such as A1="1+1" and B1="1+2". I want to calculate =B1-A1 and get 1 as a result. Can this be done without using VBA?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I have two columns of text cells with values such as A1="1+1" and B1="1+2". I want to calculate =B1-A1 and get 1 as a result. Can this be done without using VBA?
Is the math operator in each cell always going to be a plus sign? If not, what else is possible for the math expression?

Upvote 0
Yes, it will always be a plus sign. (Although sometimes it might be more than one plus sign, a la "1+1+2".)
Give this formula a try...

=LEFT(A1,FIND("+",A1)-1)+MID(A1,FIND("+",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(B1,FIND("+",B1)-1)-MID(B1,FIND("+",B1)+1,99)

Upvote 0
This array formula** will calculate B1-A1 no matter how many "+" signs there are in each:

=SUM({-1,1}*MMULT(TRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MAX(1+LEN(A1:B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+",""))))))^0,IFERROR(0+TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+",REPT(" ",41)),41*(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+MAX(LEN(A1:B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+","")))))-1)+1,41)),0)))

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).
</SPAN></SPAN>

Upvote 0
Yes, it will always be a plus sign. (Although sometimes it might be more than one plus sign, a la "1+1+2".)

This array formula** will calculate B1-A1 no matter how many "+" signs there are in each:

=SUM({-1,1}*MMULT(TRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MAX(1+LEN(A1:B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+",""))))))^0,IFERROR(0+TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+",REPT(" ",41)),41*(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+MAX(LEN(A1:B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:B1,"+","")))))-1)+1,41)),0)))

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

I missed the "sometimes it might be more than one plus sign" part (I read too quickly)... thanks for picking up on than 'XOR LX'.

Upvote 0
Sure, though I somehow get the impression the OP would have been hoping for a slightly simpler solution!

I guess it's a moot point whether using a Defined Name with EVALUATE() is technically "using VBA"?

Regards

Upvote 0

I hate array formulas, but that's because I'm usually dealing with very large arrays in files that are already slow to calculate. It seems to work fine in this instance. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sure, though I somehow get the impression the OP would have been hoping for a slightly simpler solution!
I just noticed that my solution for the single plus sign was backwards... I subtracted the Column B calculation from the Column A calculation. Here is an array-entered** formula (which subtracts the values correctly) that is slightly shorter than you formula which uses a completely different method of calculating the evaluated value...

=SUM(--TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(B1,"+",REPT(" ",99)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B1,"+",""))))*99-98,99)))-SUM(--TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+",REPT(" ",99)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"+",""))))*99-98,99)))

**Commit this formula using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and not just Enter by itself

Just as a side note, the above code works in XL2003 (probably earlier versions as well) and above whereas your formula, due to the IFERROR function call, only works in XL2007 and above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back