Find words in a cell

neilabcd

Hi Experts,

i desperately need help with a formula here.
I have a huge data sheet with a column which has revelevt info in the below format -

**Unworkable code removed**

i need to extract the below words and then use a vlookup to get what info i need.

**Unworkable code removed**

Foe ex, the first fig, has a cell with PUB03 in it, i need to extract this above list from the first column.

How do i do this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Please note that not all cell would have the info i nee, only some of the cells would, so i need to extract it.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

As you have discovered, you cannot post images like that. My signature block below has suggestions for how to post small screen shots.

Upvote 0
Deleted.
Just realised that you posted at the same time I did. No doubt you have seen my suggestion now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Experts,

i desperately need help with a formula here.
I have a huge data sheet with a column which has revelevt info in the below format -

<b>Excel 2010</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: #DAE7F5" /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>BL</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">9</td><td style="text-align: center;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;color: #9C0006;background-color: #FFC7CE;;">ISA Code/Category Code/Value List</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1112</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    SMRTCITY-SMRTSSSS, ISAPG30-, GBSSECT-PUB03, zGrowth-ZSPCTY02</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1379</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    GBSSECT-PUB01, ISAPG30-</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1381</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    PROC-IGSPU, SMRTCITY-SMRTPSAF, ISAPG51-, GBSSECT-D&I02</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1382</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    PROC-IGSPU, ISAPG51-, GBSSECT-D&I02</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1384</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    PROC-IGSPU, ISAPG51-, GBSSECT-D&I02</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1387</td><td style="text-align: right;border-top: 1px solid black;border-right: 1px solid black;border-bottom: 1px solid black;border-left: 1px solid black;;">    PROC-IGSPU, ISAPG51-, GBSSECT-D&I02</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:4.2em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid #BBB;border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">2014 FY</p><br /><br />

i need to extract the below words and then use a vlookup to get what info i need.

Excel 2010
GH
2D&I01e-Borders
3D&I02Defence Modernisation
4HEA01Electronic Patient Records
5GOV01Intelligent Transport
6GOV02Police Analytics
7GOV03Police Command & Control
8GOV04Declaration Management
9SS01FOD/Self service
10PUB01Application Modernisation
11PUB02Fraud & Error
12PUB03CURAM
14BAORFFFraud & Error
Sheet1
<p style="width:9em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid #BBB;border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">Campaign Lookup</p><br /><br />

Foe ex, the first fig, has a cell with PUB03 in it, i need to extract this above list from the first column.

How do i do this?

Upvote 0
Also note that the location where my code is differs, so it could be at the beginning, middle or end.. phew

Upvote 0
I assume that you are trying to extract the "words" shown in column G of the second table?

If so, how do you determine what a "word" is? For example, why isn't, say, ZSPCTY02 or PROC also extracted?

I suspect a formula may not be viable - would a macro be acceptable if a formula cannot be arrived at?

Upvote 0
I assume that you are trying to extract the "words" shown in column G of the second table?

If so, how do you determine what a "word" is? For example, why isn't, say, ZSPCTY02 or PROC also extracted?

I suspect a formula may not be viable - would a macro be acceptable if a formula cannot be arrived at?

Actually i have the List of codes and their names in the 2nd pic.
and so i only need to find those words.
A macro would do, but how about 2-3 formulas to get the desired result? cant that be done?
Let me know

Upvote 0
Actually i have the List of codes and their names in the 2nd pic.
and so i only need to find those words.
Find them and do what with them?
If you already have the big column of data and you already have the table in the second screen shot, what actual result(s) do you want, and where do you want it(them)?
I'm afraid I have no idea what I am trying to actually produce: :confused:

Also, is it possible that more than one of the "words" can appear in a single cell in the big column and if so does that affect what should happen?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back