autofill cell depending on text in another cell

Acehole

Board Regular
hello all, the noob is back for help if possible.
I have a cell (A13)that is populated by drop down list. the text reads for alternative treatment
if cell A13 has the word alternative in it I would like cell E13 to autofill with the numbers 180103* if that is possible
hope that makes sense
regards
acehole

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Does this formula in E13 do what you want? If not, more details please.

=IF(COUNTIF(A13,"*alternative*"),"180103*","")

Upvote 0
hi there and thanks for helping
of course it worked, as most things from this board always do.
how would I expand on this for other scenarios, as in changing the number for other key words, assume A13 could also have the text cytotoxic I would then need the number to be 180108* if it contained offensive then 180104 required. it may be getting to complex now
thanks again
acehole

Upvote 0
hello again, I have tried to use the following but it will not work =IF(COUNTIF(Q13,"3291"),"Clinical Waste, Unspecified, N.O.S",""), IF(COUNTIF(Q13,"3249"),"Medicines, Solid Toxic, N.O.S","") thanks acehole

Upvote 0
how would I expand on this for other scenarios, as in changing the number for other key words, assume A13 could also have the text cytotoxic I would then need the number to be 180108* if it contained offensive then 180104 required.

hello again, I have tried to use the following but it will not work =IF(COUNTIF(Q13,"3291"),"Clinical Waste, Unspecified, N.O.S",""), IF(COUNTIF(Q13,"3249"),"Medicines, Solid Toxic, N.O.S","") thanks acehole
I'm a little confused we seemed to be talking about A13 and words like "alternative", "cytotoxic" and "offensive". Now it appears to be Q13 and I'm not sure if the 'words' we are looking for in that cell are "3291" and "3249" or "Clinical Waste, Unspecified, N.O.S" and "Medicines, Solid Toxic, N.O.S".

Please clarify and also tell us how many "words" are to be looked for as the technique for looking for 2 or 3 "words" would be different to looking for 20 "words".

Also, when you said "..if cell A13 has the word alternative in it..", did you mean that A13 would only have the word "alternative" or that A13 might contain something like "The alternative to red is blue"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow, apologies for the confusion, again my lack of talent letting me down , even the ability to explain myself has disappeared ill try to explain a little better if I can. there will be more than a couple of words to look for so I am guessing I cant do it with just using the IF statement. A13 could contain up to 9 words to be looked for and cause the number change in E13. again thank you for your time and patience

Upvote 0
A13 could contain up to 9 words to be looked for and cause the number change in E13.
But what about this question, which applies to all 9 words.
Also, when you said "..if cell A13 has the word alternative in it..", did you mean that A13 would only have the word "alternative" or that A13 might contain something like "The alternative to red is blue"?

Upvote 0
hello,
ta for the reply,
their will be only 1 instance of the word in the cell but yes other words too
thanks
acehole

Upvote 0
Try something like this. I've created a table of the relevant words and values in columns J:K

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJK
2alternative180103
3cytotoxic180108
4offensive180104
13the offensive has started180104
Acehole

:eek: Warning: This suggestion as posted could possibly lead to incorrect results. For example, if A13 contained "What offensive?" then E13 would be blank.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back