find and return last cell in column with data (ignoring those with no data inbetween)

Flick558

Hi,
I need to write a conditional formula that will look up in a 2nd worksheet the last coloumn with data (note that there will be some coloumns in the row that will have data and some that will be blank, I need the last column for that specific row to be the return result)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi Flick558,

You said formula, so this may be of no use to you.

Otherwise copy paste in a standard module, enter the "searched for" number in F1 (can be changes to suit)
Run code and it looks on sheet 3 and returns to sheet 2 cell F2.

Regards,
Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub FindLastColumn()
Dim myRow As Long
Dim LastColumn As Integer

myRow = Range("F1")

LastColumn = Sheets("Sheet3").Range("IV" & myRow).End(xlToLeft).Column
Sheets("Sheet3").Cells(myRow, LastColumn).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("F2")

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,
I need to write a conditional formula that will look up in a 2nd worksheet the last coloumn with data (note that there will be some coloumns in the row that will have data and some that will be blank, I need the last column for that specific row to be the return result)

Thanks!

This type of formula should return the column number of the last non-blank cell in a given row. In this case, row 4 is being referenced. I think this is what you are looking for...

=LOOKUP(1,1/(NOT(ISBLANK(4:4))),COLUMN(4:4))

If you are wanting to return the contents of the cell, use something like this:

=LOOKUP(1,1/(NOT(ISBLANK(4:4))),4:4)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have a formula as you actually asked for, but in the event you use the code and have Excel 2010, change to this for LastColumn.

Code:
Dim LastColumn As Long

LastColumn = Sheets("Sheet3").Range("XFD" & myRow).End(xlToLeft).Column

Howard

Upvote 0
Thanks Everyone, perhaps I needed to provide some more information.

1) My excel knowledge is relatively limited so basic instructions would be helpful :)

2) I need the data in the last column for that specific row to insert into the cell on the 2nd sheet

EG:

Worksheet 1:

A / B / C / D / E

Drawing Number / Drawing Title / 1/1/2014 / 1/2/2014 / 1/3/2014

1 789 / ABC / 0 / / A

Worksheet 2:

Drawing Number / Drawing Title / Revision

1 789 / ABC / Need formula to return result from Worksheet 1 for same drawing, with the data from the last column (ie data from worksheet 1 E1)

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Thanks MrMeinHerr, I do want to return the contents of the cell, however note that there are many columns that are blank inbetween... so I also need the formula to look past them and grab only the last one with data (before the formula) I was intending on doing this on a separate sheet so would need it to reference the data from another sheet, but can add to my existing sheet if that makes it easier?

Upvote 0
Try rather something like:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,INDEX(Sheet2!A:E,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0),0))

Thanks Aladin, I'm returning a #N/A result, could be that I'm not following the formula accurately

You have "MATCH(A2" though it's impossible for me to select this without it first referencing the sheet - is this correct?
Also when you note "Sheet2!A:E" does this mean all data on the sheet including headers? or literally just the first row
Same again for "(A2,sheet2!A:A,0)" is the A:A the entire column including headers?

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin, I'm returning a #N/A result, could be that I'm not following the formula accurately

You have "MATCH(A2" though it's impossible for me to select this without it first referencing the sheet - is this correct?
Also when you note "Sheet2!A:E" does this mean all data on the sheet including headers? or literally just the first row
Same again for "(A2,sheet2!A:A,0)" is the A:A the entire column including headers?

A2 is supposed to be in a sheet other than Sheet2...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,INDEX(Sheet2!A:E,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0),0))

This assumes A:E in Sheet2 as the area where to look for the last numeric value that pertains to A2. The row to seek the last numeric value is calculated/determined by the INDEX/MATCH bit.

And the formula goes into the same sheet as A2..., say in B2.

Upvote 0
OK Now I'm getting a result of #REF!

I'm happy to remove the 2nd sheet all together and I can instead just use 1 sheet for the formula (hopefully this will simplify for me..)

so new formula would be in for example Cell P2 needing to find the column prior with data starting from C2:O2 (some cells in this range will be blank)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back