Cut and paste values to an indirect cell (ref will change) after cell AB4 says "END"

nicky32

Hi - Id be very grateful for any assistance with this issue - FYI, I have zero knowledge of VBA so I'm hoping for a bells and whistles piece of code that I can just cut and paste into the VBA code place!!

I have 2 sheets.

First Sheet is called "A".
Second Sheet is called "ResA"

I want to cut values from "A" and paste to "ResA".

Specifically, when cell AB4 in Sheet A = "END", then I want to cut and paste the values in sheet A - A5:AG30 to the cell (indirect) referenced on sheet A - AD3 (eg ResA!A8) in sheet ResA. <IE - A

Hope that's reasonably clear. It appears to be quite complex to me, so Id really appreciate a dig out.

Thanks very much

N32

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Something like this should work for you
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim wks As Worksheet, wks1 As Worksheet
    Set wks1 = Worksheets("ResA")
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AB4")) Is Nothing Then
        If Target.Value = "END" Then
            Range("A5:AG30").Cut wks1.Range(Range("AD3").Value)
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Right Click on Sheet A tab and select view code, then paste the code above in there

Whenever cell AB4 ="END", the CUT operation is carried out

Upvote 0
Momentman - thanks so much for your response. The code works perfectly - almost! I should have pointed out that the macro trigger ie "END" in AB4 is actually formula driven. I know this is a worksheet change solution but I have no idea of the code required or where to insert it. Would you mind amending the code you supplied to trigger when formula results in "END" in AB4. Thanks very much once again. N32

Upvote 0
Right click on the sheet where AB4="END" will trigger the code

In your example above, you called the sheet A, if the sheet is Sheet A,Right click it and select View code and simply paste this revised code in there

Code:
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AB4")) Is Nothing Then
        If [Target].Value = "END" Then
            Range("A5:AG30").Cut wks1.Range(Range("AD3").Value)
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
The revised formula produces exactly same result - ie formula doesn't trigger macro but typing in "END" does??

Upvote 0
Isn't that funny? 'cos I did test it and it works fine,#Thinking

But it seems to work within the Worksheet_Calculate event, but the problem is, if the code runs once, it cuts and paste meaning the Source is now blank, when the worksheet calculates again, it cuts and paste but since the source is now blank, it pastes blanks over the destination and the end of the day, we achieve zilch

I tried to use Evaluate method within the Worksheet_Change event but for some reason, its not working.

Based on a tip by mikerickson, this should work

Code:
    On Error Resume Next
    If Not Intersect(Target.Dependents, Range("AB4")) Is Nothing Then
        If [Target].Value = "END" Then
            Range("A5:AG30").Copy wks1.Range(Range("AD3").Value)
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand what you are saying - I am actually copying as opposed to cutting (I just edited your code). Does that change anything?

Upvote 0
It should work now, irrespective of cut or copy. Please try and let me know how it goes

Upvote 0
Thanks for persevering with this. Again - maybe the original post should have said more....."END" will appear periodically in the sheet at certain intervals and each time it does I want the trigger. Bearing this in mind, should there be an else if statement to stop the trigger when AB4<>"END". The code above appeared to work, but only once! Cheers N32

Upvote 0
Since we didnt put the ELSE, it simply ignores it, which is good enough for our case

But for me, everytime the cell changes to "END" by virtue of the formula, the required cells are copied?

Confirm that its working or otherwise

Thanks

Victor

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back